588,392 active members*
5,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Impressed with Automation Technologies

Howdy!

I am new to the CNC world and to CNC zone, but have been a 3D printing, robotics and electronics enthusiast for many years, and wanted to start here with my first post on a positive note.

I have been slowly building my CNC machine now for about 3 years, starting first with a Shapoko One. Finding that to be inadequate for my needs, I began researching different CNC options and vendors from which I could build a larger, more capable system for milling aluminum robot components. That's when I found Automation Technologies, as recommended by someone at PMDX - another vendor of CNC components.

After purchasing nearly all of the components needed to build my own CNC machine, I felt compelled to post something here about those components and my experience with the folks at Automation Technologies - and to highly recommend them to anyone who is also building their own custom CNC machines. Their prices are absolutely great, and the components I have purchased have all been of top-quality;

I use the KL-7220 (72 volt, 20 amp) power supply to drive my steppers and it's excellent, it has proven to be perfect for providing power to my steppers and has a 36 volt output as well that I didn't expect but found great use for. The fact that it splits it's power output between two 10 amp sources has allowed me to balance my steppers according to their amperage needs. I highly recommend it!

I purchased two of their KL34H2120-60-4B stepper (1200 Oz/In, 6Amp) and two of their KL23H2100-35-4BM stepper (570 Oz/In, 3.5Amp) motors to drive my CNC rig and am Enormously impressed with them. Through my own testing they are definitely quality motors and the electrical characteristics are very close to that advertised. I think these are what impressed me the most. I purchased a half-dozen other steppers of smaller power for other applications now, and will do so again in the future. The dual-shaft nature of the motors I purchased will allow me to affix shaft encoders when I reach that point.

The ball-screws are also something I should Rave about; I purchased several of their SFU1605 ball-screws with the flanged nuts and was very impressed with the quality of their machinging. I recommend them to anyone neededing ball-screws for their custom build. I also recommend getting the Ball Nut Mount/Brackets that fit over the flanged nuts, they are $21 and you really need one to arrive at a solution for a ball-screw for an axis.

When I ran into questions about a component I purchased, John from Automaiton Technologies was polite and courteous - he answered my questions thoughtfully and even asked for input on one of their products.

All this being said, I do not work for Automation Technologies and have no business or personal relationship with them other than that of a customer who is very happy with my purchases, and I have received no price breaks or discounts to encourage me to post. They deserve a shout-out for helping me build my own custom CNC machine that is coming along Very nicely. Not everything is perfect, the web-site could use some artistic touch, but given the quality of the components I received, they far outweigh such minor issues. I highly recommend them!

Cheers,

Kris

Re: Impressed with Automation Technologies

I to have had a good experience with them. I bought a laser from them and had the controller go bad under warranty. I called John and he talked me through some tests and decided it was bad so he shipped me a new one and when I received it I had to ship the old one back. I was in the middle of a job and he got it to me the next day and I was up and running. I have recommended them to others that had good luck buying from them.

I bought the 3-Axis NEMA23 350oz servo kit and the Wireless MPG Handwheel from Automation Tech and have been very happy with the purchases.

I will do business with them again if/when the need arises.

Regards,

Steve.

I am converting a Precision Matthews PM25-MV mill to CNC. I purchased stepper motors and the control box from Automation Technologies. I received the parts in a timely manner. I really like the quality of the control box everything is wired very neatly and the components are excellant. The control box has Gecko 210X drives and not some cheap Chinese clone. I had considered sourcing all the parts and building my own box since I have the skill. I decided to go with Automation Technologies because the cost savings vs time to source and learn how to wire everything together was not worth it to me. So far everything has worked perfectly. I found resources on their website for setting up Mach 3 which is really a pretty standard setup. I have years of experience with Mach 3 and really like the interface. I had several minor issues while trying to get things to work. None of the problems were causes by Automation Technologies components although at the time I wasn't sure what was causing the problem. I sent them several emails over a few days and each time I received a reply within 3-4 hrs which is great. They were able to help me get everything working. I am very pleased with this purchase. I deal with a lot of companies and often feel like they could care less about customer service. I have been extremely pleased with Automation Technologies customer support. Will I buy again from them in the future 100% guarantee it!! Glad to see a technology company who understands the meaning of support after the sale!!