587,920 active members*
3,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Build Question - Partial machine, how do I complete?

Build Question - Partial machine, how do I complete?

So, I just found what I think could be the basis of a rockin' CNC machine. It was a biomedical device of some sort, already has the gantry in place, VEXTA UPH569-AM stepper/ VEXTA UDX5114 controller on z-axis all set up, twin VEXTA UPH599-A stepper/ VEXTA UDX5128 controller setups for x- and y-. It's complete and does a partial self-check when powered up.

How do I link these to a computer? (Seen a partial writeup, but the information ended up pertaining to a different controller box)

Is there a full self-test mode I can access with these?

Does anyone have manuals, guides or other information?

Too little information... Can you post pics? Maybe someone here has used the vexta udx but most use Mach as controller and varied drivers for the steppers

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jross View Post
    So, I just found what I think could be the basis of a rockin' CNC machine. It was a biomedical device of some sort, already has the gantry in place, VEXTA UPH569-AM stepper/ VEXTA UDX5114 controller on z-axis all set up, twin VEXTA UPH599-A stepper/ VEXTA UDX5128 controller setups for x- and y-. It's complete and does a partial self-check when powered up.

How do I link these to a computer? (Seen a partial writeup, but the information ended up pertaining to a different controller box)

Is there a full self-test mode I can access with these?

Does anyone have manuals, guides or other information?
    Practice your google skills, in 5 min I came up with a bunch of stuff about these drivers and how to hook them up including several posts on the cnczone.

Here is a link to the manual to get you started
    http://www.alltronics.com/mas_assets/acrobat/24M006.pdf

Page 23 basically says set it to pulse and direction and you can run it from the parallel port. Always use a breakout board. www.candcnc.com

Check out the ubob.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    Practice your google skills, in 5 min I came up with a bunch of stuff about these drivers and how to hook them up including several posts on the cnczone.

Here is a link to the manual to get you started
    http://www.alltronics.com/mas_assets/acrobat/24M006.pdf

Page 23 basically says set it to pulse and direction and you can run it from the parallel port. Always use a breakout board. www.candcnc.com

Check out the ubob.

Mike
    That's the manual for the wrong unit. The Vexta UPK has a completely different interface than the UDX units I have. Almost all the information I've turned up on Google hasn't been pertinent either.

Quote Originally Posted by jross View Post
    That's the manual for the wrong unit. The Vexta UPK has a completely different interface than the UDX units I have. Almost all the information I've turned up on Google hasn't been pertinent either.
    Check out the post where I found the link.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10077

It looks like the switch to run it in step/pulse and direction mode is in a different spot. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    Check out the post where I found the link.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10077

It looks like the switch to run it in step/pulse and direction mode is in a different spot. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Mike
    Not a worry, I appreciate the try!

The switch bank shown in the pdf is absent on my controller, and while the mode switch is moved, the test switch appears to be absent! I guess I have to follow the route taken by the fellow who found the mode switch and just start disassembling things...

Rip off all the electronic crap and wire the motors directly to Gecko drives or some other driver of your choice. Get a breakout board, parallel cable and a PC with mach3 or some other software of your choice and you will be ready to rock.

You might spend more time trying to figure out the existing electronics than just buying some tried and true electronics. Hey, if you got the mechanical stuff for free, putting a few bucks into the control system should be painless...

Paul