587,913 active members*
3,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree VMC 1060 dead in the water - WDT failures

Tree VMC 1060 dead in the water - WDT failures

(posted in the Dynapath forum as well-reposting here in case any of you have suggestions).

Hi gang. Searched and read what I could find, here's the story. Tree VMC 1060 been running well since I figured out the ATC and how to DNC over the past few months. About 4 weeks ago the ATC motor burned up (I suspect the electromagnetic brake didn't release - however - there was oil inside the motor so it could be other issues). I pulled the motor and took it to be rewound (still waiting).

Anyhow - I've continued running the machine and it does well until Friday. While standing beside the machine (sweeping floor) I hear a click and look up at the monitor. It is blank. Thinking it is in screensaver mode I push a button and nothing. Notice the screen isn't actually blank - but has very faint (stationary) horizontal lines. Reboot - same thing. Pop the rear panel, then hit google and this site searching. All fuses check out; have pulled and reseatted all boards; verified voltage at dc power supplies (all appear in spec - +5V; +15V; -15V; +24V.

I have both WDT fail lights on - and they come on within seconds of a reboot. I'm guessing I lost a board - however - machine was working (basically) flawlessly up until that time - and I am of course suspicious of why the ATC motor burned up. Haven't traced circuits or checked but am guessing the electromagnetic brake is powered by DC...possibly I have a transformer dropping out (???)?

All advice appreciated.

Bill in Reno

Well, after careful checking of all boards, pulling and re-seatting several times - she fired up. Ran for a week - then last night shifted only partway into low gear. Guess I'll pull the covers off the spindle and see what's up. High gear still fine - just not fully engaging low gear. Hope it is an easy fix!

Bill
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com