588,525 active members*
6,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > masterCam training books

masterCam training books

I have access to Mastercam X2 on weekends (my son's seat from his job) I need to learn basic jobs because "the Kid" is just too busy to do them all.

Anyway, I'm a total noob at MC. I found these training books: http://www.techedu.com/Mastercam_Books.asp

Any recommendations on which to buy?

Karl

I can recommend the In House Solutions lathe tutorial. Clearly organized and good coverage of the material.

I had a hard time with the Valentino/Goldberg 2D Milling text. Lots of typos and command sequence errors. I think this would be a confusing text for beginners.

Can't help you with the others on the list.

Best regards.

Thanks, any problem starting with lathe instead of mill? I've read that CAM packages are more for mills than lathes.

I need to learn both.

Karl

Hmmm...

I've never thought about it. I spent many years manual machining and programming before moving to MasterCAM, and I began with the mill package; but I don't know why it would make any difference to start with the lathe.

Once past the machine set-up in lathe, it's pretty straight forward.

I didn't see The Mastercam handbooks 1 and 2 on that page. Those are my favorites and are used in many college courses and for Mastercam Certification.
    They can be found at emastercam.com, as mentioned above, anything by in-house solutions is probably good.
    Thanks, any problem starting with lathe instead of mill? I've read that CAM packages are more for mills than lathes.
    I need to learn both.
    It is true that lathes can be programmed efficiently using just G-code programming or a word address system. This is due to the fact that the lathe has only 2 axis (X and Z), the geometrical shapes are usually simpler and there are many canned cycles in the controller. However a CAM system will allow easier programming of complex shapes, live tooling, sub spindles etc. and adds organizational functionallity, such as defining chucks, stock and tool libraries.
    It is not really important whether you learn mill or lathe first. The methods used are completly different, however in Mastercam X you can program parts with mill and lathe operations in one program. In other words the mill and lathe packages are combined. This was not true in earlier versions of Mastercam.

The Lin & Shue book has allott of info and projects.I have used them in teaching in the past not alwas correct but not bad but allot of info.

I have not seen there new one for VX but have the from V5 to V9.

I do use the In-House book these days in my classes and as Degmc stated the Handbooks are great with info not many projects but great for what does this all do kind of book.

I use these for Mastercam Certification trainning and now using them at my Collage classes I teach.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I'm training at streamingteacher for vX2 and I know they still do training for older versions too. I'm really liking it so far you can see some samples from thier web site www.streamingteacher.com and I thought the price was good.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

All the books that toby shows are nice, they walk you thru projects from drawing to programming.
    now to also get the volume books is nice if you want a breakdown on what all the controls and options do.The first books don't do that.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    All the books that toby shows are nice, they walk you thru projects from drawing to programming.
    now to also get the volume books is nice if you want a breakdown on what all the controls and options do.The first books don't do that.
    Which books teach post processor configurations?
    The first question was answered, LOL, Ooops!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Try www.emastercam.com they have all kinds of good stuff

Yea, they do. The one I suggested is in Canada, LOL, Shipping must be through the Roof. Ok the Emastercam forum sent me there. What's the deal? I thought In-House-Solutions was in the US.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

You can not find post books on the net that are sold from MC as it has been sense 97 did they actully make a book I have 5 or 6 they will be worth something.
    But you can find post info in the documatation in the MC-X folder.

Toby In-House is Emastercam.
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    You can not find post books on the net that are sold from MC as it has been sense 97 did they actully make a book I have 5 or 6 they will be worth something.
    But you can find post info in the documatation in the MC-X folder.

Toby In-House is Emastercam.
    Is that in PDF Format? I think I saw that. I'll look after work tomorrow to see what I can find. Is it complicated, or is that a redundant question?

BTW: Thanks for the information Jay.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com