588,640 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Building a Joe's 2006

Well, I decided a month ago to start building a new CNC Router. I had a little hobby machine that I had quickly out grown and was not as durable as I was looking for. The main problem was the old mill was too small to cut most of the parts that I need to make Joe's model.

So I made a simple Pipe mill to cut the parts for Joe's model. (I'll have to post pictures tonight of the mill) It works pretty good and uses most of the same parts for the X & Z from my small hobby mill. I used the same principle that Joe used on his Z for the Y (Y being the longest axis on the pipe mill) on mine. It is pretty slow at 20 ipm and has taken a couple weekends and most every night to get most of the parts cut. The X axis really could have been better designed as it has a little flex to it. I figure that once I get this mill assembled and running good the first thing that I'm going to do it cut another mill as a back up or spare.

I've got the long runs for the X and the left and right gantry sides for the MDF left to cut then all of the HDPE. I've got lots of the HDPE as the hobby mill was all made from HDPE. Hopefully I can get the rest cut in the next couple of days then start assembling. I'll post pictures as I start assembling to show progress. I can't wait to get it up and running.

Well here are a couple pictures of the current mill that I'm using to mill the parts for Joe's model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2095.JPG   100_2098.JPG  

And here are a couple of pictures of the current state of Joe's model. Should have most of the parts finished cut out on Wednesday.:banana:

You'll have to excuse the messy shop, I don't have a lot of room and I've got a lot of stuff crammed into the area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2096.JPG   100_2097.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
    Well here are a couple pictures of the current mill that I'm using to mill the parts for Joe's model.
    Absolutely no offense intended, but that's very bare-bones. I like that approach to building a larger machine.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Parts look good!
    I like your approach! You want a Joe's machine so you build a machine and make one! Good for you, that's fantastic! :cheers:
    Keep the pictures coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Madclicker View Post
    Absolutely no offense intended, but that's very bare-bones. I like that approach to building a larger machine.
    No offense taken. It's sole job is to cut the parts for Joe's mill and that is it. There are even parts that are on it that are for Joe's mill, the gas pipe and two bearing slides. Once I get finished cutting all my parts and the I'm sure of the fit, I'll start dismantling it.

Now that is inovative thinking, (How cab I get the Psrts to make the machine, hmmmmm make a machine to make the machine).

seriously that is a good aproach, already have the electronics, plus some experiance now with CNC.

Is that a foam cutter on the left?

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2096.JPG  

Joe,

No foam cutter. There's so much crap in the picture I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if it is the blue structure, that is a work bench that I got from my work for $20 bucks. It even was already wired for over head lighting and outlets. Now I just need to add the 20 amp breaker to the panel and run it to an outlet that I can plug the bench into.

Great Work on the mill.

By any chance is that JCKleinbauer's Pipe Dream design?

Jason

That's where I got the basic idea. I just made a gantry that would hold the X and Z axis's that I already had and went with that. Works pretty good, but if I had to do it again I would have rotated the gantry 180 degrees so that the Z is closer to the centerline of the gantry and made a stronger X so that it didn't flex like this one does. 3/4" would be better for the rails then the 1/2" that I used.

Just a quick update, I've got all but the right gantry sides cut and have assembled a little bit more. Need to cut the bearing blocks before I assemble too much more.

On another note, I've noticed that most people are using a break out board. Can someone just give me a quick description of what they are and what are they used for. I currently am using the Xylotex 3 axis controller and am assuming that if I am going to add E-Stop, limit & home switches and possibly a relay for spindle on/off that I am going to need a break out board. From what I've gathered the break out board is to protect the computer and probably myself if my computer starts to flake out or something surges. Now with my setup, do I add the breakout board before or after the xylotex controller. I would think that I could put it either way, but maybe there are some benefits to doing it one way versus the other.

This looks like a good one for my setup, but maybe someone with a similar setup has some experience that could chime in and give some advice.
    http://www.cnc4pc.com/Parallel_Port_Interface_Card.htm

Thanks,

James

I and David use a multifunction card from cnc4pc to function a few ways. One, to control the router, to have inputs for estop and limits, three to create a safety charge pump in case your computer crashes and it will signal an estop, and four to act as a barrier between your pc and the xylotex driver. More or less, instead of frying your mother board or electronics on your computer, it will fry some components on the board which are much cheaper to replace. I choose to get the 4 boards sep. but arturo has the new one in stock again now. If it was me I would go with the multifunction card, it has everything included and soldered together and minimizes wiring and connecting.

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    I and David use a multifunction card from cnc4pc to function a few ways. One, to control the router, to have inputs for estop and limits, three to create a safety charge pump in case your computer crashes and it will signal an estop, and four to act as a barrier between your pc and the xylotex driver. More or less, instead of frying your mother board or electronics on your computer, it will fry some components on the board which are much cheaper to replace. I choose to get the 4 boards sep. but arturo has the new one in stock again now. If it was me I would go with the multifunction card, it has everything included and soldered together and minimizes wiring and connecting.
    Thanks for the reply, that is basically what I thought it was. I'll probably have to wait a little bit to pick up the multifunction board, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Well, I've got all of the MDF cut and all of the laminated parts glued together. I'm having the machine shop here at work do the bearing slides so those should be ready to put on later today hopefully. I'll work on cutting the HDPE parts over the weekend. They should go fairly quick since they're fairly small and not too many of them, but it'll depend on how many screw ups I do before I get one that is correct. I'll take some pictures tonight to show progress. I'm not sure that I'm going to paint this first one. I will probably cut a second kit with it and paint/assemble that one keeping the first one as a spare/backup.

Another question, the recessed nuts, did anyone glue these in or are they just tapped into the hole and left as is?

If you are talking about the recessed nuts for the bearing plate adjuster, yes those are just held in by pressure.

David

Thanks David, that is what I thought but just wasn't sure. Hopefully I can get a lot done this weekend and be using it in the next week or two.

Update

Well, I got the machined parts from the machine shop today and assembled most of what I could tonight. Gantry is assembled minus the Z axis, I just need to cut the back plate and the Z bearing block then I'll be done cutting. The Y is pretty smooth.

The only thing that I'm not really happy with is the Z Carriage. I need to cut another one once I get this assembled and working. It will work, but it is not very square. That was due to some of the imperfections of the machine that I used to cut the parts.

Should be able to get the X torsion box glued up and the skins on it over the weekend. Can't wait to get it going and free up my parking spot in the garage where the mill I'm using to cut the parts is sitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2109.JPG   100_2110.JPG  

(The Pipedream is) where I got the basic idea. I just made a gantry that would hold the X and Z axis's that I already had and went with that.
    Just curious, what's the largest piece you can cut with the current machine. I've got a couple of 5' lengths of 3/4" in the garage...

Thanks,
    Dave

The largest piece that I can cut right now is about 42" long. The gantry could be modified to get 48" or so, but there just is not a lot of support for the rails so any longer and it would probably sag in the middle.

Thanks!

Looks like you are doing a good job. You are at the fun part where the machine starts looking like a CNC. Hopefully it won't be long before you have it all together and running.

Page 1 of 4 123