587,611 active members*
3,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Galil and Camsoft driver conflict

I'm tuning servos...

So, I orderred the WSDK disk from Galil for tuning.

I soon as I installed the WSDK, Camsoft will no longer run. You get the error message "Galil driver not found"

I've learned from bitter experience that this might happen so I set up a system restore point before installing and (I hope) I can roll the computer back so Camsoft works again.

I know just changing which driver the galil card uses in Device manager won't correct the trouble, there are other entries in the registry.

Any suggesstions to be able to use both softwares on the same computer? I'm guessing maybe a script that rewrites the registry and re boots, or maybe a multi boot ablity to a different setup. I have no clue how to do this.

Karl

I went through similar dificulties when I loaded some Galil S/W.
    I spent a long time with Camsoft and this is what I got, I am not sure wether it will cure your problem, but here is what I have:
    Al.

You would want to first do away with the Windows Registry entries for the Galil Terminal program these are creating a conflict plus also delete any mixed-match drivers using CleanReg.exe

REGCLEAN.exe can be found in your C:\GALILOI directory
    How to remove conflicting or old drivers from the Windows registry and Windows folders.

If all else fails here is how to straighten it out for sure:

1.) Uninstall Galil software
    2.) Search your whole computer in all folders for these files are delete them.
    DMC32.DLL
    DMCBUS32.DLL
    DMCGC32.DLL
    DMCNET.EXE
    DMCNET.TLB
    DMCPAR32.DLL
    DMCREG.OCA
    DMCREG.OCX
    DMCSER32.DLL
    DMCSHELL.OCX
    GLWDMISA.INF
    GLWDMISA.SYS
    GLWDMPCI.INF
    GLWDMPCI.SYS
    2.) Run the REGCLEAN.exe program
    3.) Remove the Galil card from computer
    4.) Re-install Camsoft software
    5.) Re-install Galil card
    6.) Launch the CNC Controller
    7.) If this worked stop here
    8.) RegCard.exe enter choice 2
    9.) GalilReg enter address
    10.) Launch the CNC Controller
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Ah, yes BTDT.

There must be a better way.

Karl

Don't you just LOVE how friendly computer programs are with each other???

Don't you just love how quickly Windoze allows software to create conflicts???

You'd think that the folks who made the O/S would find a way to NOT let stuff screw up other stuff that's already loaded.

And people wonder why I WON'T upgrade to windoze based systems for my CNC's and cam desigining software machines. Can't afford for some arrogant software to put me out of business by screwing up a functioning computer - life is hard enough trying to make ends meet without letting computer software making it any more complicated....

Perhaps a program like "cleansweep" from Quarterdeck (which monitors system changes when you install new software and allows you to undo EVERYTHING automatically as opposed to manually) might be a good idea to use/run when installing new software.

It has saved our butz a number of times when software decides to go rogue on you...

Has anyone ever made several XP partitions like in this thread on another NG?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44254

Karl

Karl,

The simple answer is having the very latest Galil WSDK as well as the CamSoft versions installed so the versions match.

We both use the same low level drivers and when Galil comes out with new
    ones, we follow shortly.

If you have had either Galil or CamSoft installed in the same PC with and older version, the trick is making sure nothing remains from these older versions in the Windows registry or in the Windows folder or sub directories.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    951-674-8100 Ph
    951-674-3110 Fax
    [email protected]
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Reply to post #6 from the Tech Support team above:

IF it is so critical to NOT have the old version(s) of a driver/register/whatever from a previous install, why doesn't the program uninstall the old version or write over it or otherwise adequately deal with it????

Seems that a WELL WRITTEN installation program would address such issues, especially during an upgrade.

Why should the user have to mess with doing supplemental registry editing (not a self evident task nor one for the faint of heart) to get sofware to work??? Especially if it involves the manual removal of something that may not be easy to find/figure out because it probably isn't even documented.

Granted, this is DIY but since when has the ability to do registry editing become a pre-requisite to installing software????

Surely, you can do better than that, can't you?????

NC Cams,

You would understand if you were a programmer. Each programmer has to abide by the function call parameters of the drivers he/she is linking to. When the program compiles the function calls must conform to the driver version you are writing to.

Even if a programmer wanted to, he/she could not predict or program for a version written by another company that hasn't been invented yet.

The software must use the driver version it was compiled for. If you want to use software from two companies on the same PC that talk to the same hardware the drivers must match.

Well written software does not delete software drivers or change registry entries done by another companies installation. If you did you would permanently disable the other software package in favor of your own and we don't do that. We would rather compliment than step on.

Upgrading both packages to the same version driver is the only proper answer that allows both packages to run on the same PC together, otherwise only one would work.

During an upgrade through our installation CD we check and prompt for this before we install. If an older version is found by the installation program a regclean program is provided to automatically clean the registry by the users choice.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    (951) 674-8100
    [email protected]
    www.cnccontrols.com
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Camsoft: I understand what you're saying BUT that clearly didn't seem to happen to the members as outlined and as it appears if the presentations outlined in Post #'s 1 & 2 above are absolutely true.

Besides you point out in your post, "...If you have had either Galil or CamSoft installed in the same PC with and older version, the trick is making sure nothing remains from these older versions in the Windows registry or in the Windows folder or sub directories...."

Why do you need to know "tricks" to install softare??? Why should I have to make sure nothing old remains??? What should I look for that's old??? Why can't YOUR installtion check for and correct any "old version" created problems. If you alreadly know they're incompatible, why don't YOUR programmer simply fix the incompatabilities or upgrade the old stuff as needed???

If the new/old drivers/software weren't/aren't compatible, I would seem that the programmer could come up with:

A, a version that was at least useabe
    or
    B. an error trap indicating the something wasn't compatible.
    or
    C. a fix/explanation for whatever caused the issues outlined in posts 1 & 2 above.

If you loaded software and stuff stoped working immediately thereafter, who else but the creator of the last loaded software woud/could/should you blame???

My experience has found that softare A guy blames software B guy who blames the O/S guy who blames the hardware guy who blames the Software A guy. Classic circle jerk

If the Camsoft didn't cause the issues reported, maybe the Galil stuff did. Either way, some sloppy programming on SOMEBODY's part led to a lot of FUBAR'd files and a lot of manual work that shouldn't have been necessary to do by the ultimate user.

Think about it: if you bought a new TV and brough it home and it caused your stove and freezer to stop working, you'd freak. Ditto that if you bought gas and the car stopped running. If this happened, there'd be hourly shootings at appliance stores and gas stations. Yet, we look at it as an acceptable "inconvenience" when it comes to software. Go figure.

Yet, I've had it happen (as surely have others) the situation where I'll install a (enter device or software name here) and interrupt or software conflicts develops.

POOF.

STuff quits working and you spend hours or days reloading, trouble shooting and god knows what to get your system back up and running. Why? Too much backwards incompatibility and or the lack of error/conflicttrap identifiers combined with too much software going after too few interrupts and god knows what else because I"m only a user, not a programmer.

If some software can find and notify you of an "incompatible softare version" fault, it ALL should. Otherwise, don't rely on some obscure version DLL or whatever that only your software needs/wants to make it run - especially if it is a DLL or whatever that the latest M/S development software locks you into...

That brings up a rant I have over backwards compatibile software issues but we'll save that for later thread hijack.

Thanks for listening....

NC Cams,

Well written software does not delete software drivers or change registry entries done by another companies installation. If you did you would permanently disable the other software package in favor of your own and we don't do that. We would rather compliment than step on.

Upgrading both packages to the same version driver is the only proper answer that allows both packages to run on the same PC together, otherwise only one would work.

During an upgrade through our installation CD we check and prompt for this before we install. If an older version is found by the installation program a regclean program is provided to automatically clean the registry by the users choice.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    (951) 674-8100
    [email protected]
    www.cnccontrols.com