587,997 active members*
2,024 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > restricting faces from waterline

restricting faces from waterline

Hi all,

I made a small block (screen shot attached) and I am not happy with the way I made the waterline around the part because, despite my best effort, the side was not completely flat and when I turned the part so that I can drill the small hole (in the red wall sect.), it contributed to the hole not being straight.

In retrospect, it might be better to start from the beginning with the long side vert. instead of horiz. making the "waterline parting line" around the Y-Z in the orientation in the jpeg.

Alternatively, it seems possible to not touch that face opposite the small hole (so I can be sure to rest it straight while drilling) after I make the initial "facing" that I did to help the setup.

Questions: 1. I see in Sprut in the job Assignment area after I select the first op roughing waterline, I can select that face, but when I hit "restict zone" it does not seem to do anything. How do I instruct SC to skip this face in the waterline op?

2. How would you all make this part? Is there an alternative to making this "waterline parting line/seam" all the way around the part?

Program and tap file are in the .zip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A225 block.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Paul - milling since March 2012 - Solidworks/HSMExpress/Tormach1100 user

PS....

PS...I forgot to mention that this program includes a way to turn parts under one program post using the axillary op. I caught one of the newer videos by Eric at Sprutcam America that explained this method...I mention this because it was a discussion point in my last post which was not 100% resolved at that time.

I am new too, but I havent been able to restrict waterline from one face, it will restrict the whole outside or inside but not part of it.
    I tried it with 2d conturing and it machined (simulated) 3 sides, In setup select the three faces you want to machine, then select curve for each face. You can also select steps in 2d conturing so it doesnt try to machine the whole side in one pass.
    mike sr

Thanks Mike, I'll give this a try....but still curious about the restrict zone feature in SC...

I would do the waterline all from one side, when its taken out of the fixture and turned over then it needs to be indicated to make sure its location is correct for the back side.
    I would use the waterline or 2d conturing and do the whole part from one side, then take it off the fixture, turn the part over and face off the excess stock. I would use a piece of stock large enough to clamp in a vise so that it could all be done from one side.

The area for restrict or job site is selected in the geometry tab so that it can be used in the machining tab.
    mike sr

Thanks again...as simple as this sounds, I did not think of machining the entire verticals from the first side and only facing the backside. I had in my mind that it should be 50/50...I will try this idea.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pejaer View Post
    Thanks again...as simple as this sounds, I did not think of machining the entire verticals from the first side and only facing the backside. I had in my mind that it should be 50/50...I will try this idea.

Paul
    Good practice is to never remove the part from the fixture or vise untill all maching operations possible are complete.
    good luck with the project.
    mike sr