588,322 active members*
4,409 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: step file

step file

Ok aside from my job i do some work at home and soon i will get my x4, so ill be able to start to work on certain new part i do at home for a friend of mine who is an engineer, kindly enough my boss where i work lets me use there work station when i am off duty, but since i work on week end i have nobody there to help me out with my lack of skill in mastercam x2, now most of the work i have done so far was on mastercam x when i took my cnc operator course and all they thought us was the basic like, set your stock, make a square, draw some circle and line and then apply tool path to it, up to there its all fine by me all 90 degree angle but now the part my friend is willing to let me do are all drawn by him and sent to me as step file, now here is my problem when i import the file in mastercam x2 the axis arent right the y is my height and the z is my length, i know i have to, well i think, i have to change the wcs or t/c plane and i have tried to but i can seem to grasp the way to do it, i know i could basically do it like i was thought to do it but it would make the job allot longer then to use the already drawn part, also i would save a bit of time by been able to know how to set new work plane since the part needs work on both sides.

Anyway hope someone can enlighten me on this i would appreciate .
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Sounds like you need to learn about the WCS

Try this.

http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/sample1.zip

ok ill check it out and post back how it went but from the first look of it that seems to do it
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Thanks Matt, I was thing of that one. I so need to do a new updated one.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hi Cadcam !

I found that and only watched the first half before deciding it was the best WCS tutorial I had ever seen.

After a recommendation like that, I have to download and watch it too.
    Greg