588,666 active members*
6,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Help with profile
Page 1 of 2 12

Help with profile

For the life of me I can not figure out why profile is picking the path it is. I am trying to just go around the outside and it keeps taking a short cut on the left side. I am attaching a screenshot.

Any ideas??

Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bracket.bmp  

The pic is no good for some reason.

Without seeing it, I would suggest that you check the profile for double entities in the same location.

If that is not the problem, sometimes, you may find it necessary to blank a 'branching chain' so that the software knows which profile is correct. Trim all entities together to ensure no gaps in whatever is supposed to be one chain.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I will try what you have suggested. I tried to upload the pic again to see what is up with that.

Thanks,

Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bracket.bmp  

Alright, what is the trick to getting pic to upload?

Thomas

I don't know. Can you convert it to a jpg and then upload it? Maybe there is some problem getting a thumbnail view out of a bitmap?

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Try again as a jpg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bracket.jpg  

Yes, it would appear to be a case of the 'ambiguous path'. Blank the entities which are not relevant to the path you are trying to profile. If you need to machine the blanked ones later on, then unblank them all and blank the other entities in the other chain.

OK, I got it to do a profile all the way around. I ended up redoing the drawing, I guess I got it cleaner this time.

More help needed. This is only about the third project I have attempted. I want to cut all the way around the part to a depth of .75". This will basically part it from the stock since it will be .75" thick. The part will be secured to the fixture through the two upper holes. The two "humps" on the left and right at the bottom of the part I want to take down .5" from the surface. I can't figure out the best way to do this. Any help?

I want to attach the .xfa file but can't figure that out yet either. Sorry such a pain but I am not getting anywhere by myself.

Thomas

Thomas,
    These are the only valid file extensions for uploading.
    bmp doc dwg dxf gif jpeg jpg mov pdf png psd txt wmv xls and zip

Just zip the .xfa file and upload that.

The picture does not give us any idea of the size.

Fixturing is fun huh ?

Ok, here it is. The part is small, under 6" across.

This is fun when I can figure some things out and show some progress but when I get stopped it can sure beat you down. Thanks for all the help.

Guess what is next? The two holes at the top need to be pocketed like the bottom holes but from the other side........ Then I need to make another part just like it but mirror imaged. More to come. They are brackets to adapt brake calipers from one motorcycle to another so I need left and right sides.

Thomas
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could not view your zipped file. Do you have any complete fully dimensioned drawings you can upload as jpg or dxf files?

Thomas,

Have you worked through all the tutorials, including the modelling tutorials?

I cannot really grasp what the final shape of the part is. I think you should spend a little time learning to model, as it then makes more sense to the next guy when you pass it around for an opinion.

Select a single chain representing the profile of the part, and also, you can select any internal features like circles which will become through holes in the part, then use the function "surface from curves" to create a surface from the profile. Then, use extrude surface from the create solid menu, to extrude the part to the correct height.

I believe this is what Thomas wants the model to look like...I did not have any info on the holes..so I did not model them..

Yes, that is what it is suppose to look like. The final part being the two holes on the top will have the same 1" pockets 1/2" deep on the bottom side of the bracket. How about coming and having a seat next to me so I can see how the heck you did that! :-)

I have Bonnie's book and have been going through it but untill I have a project that uses the ideas/techniques and I actually do them I have a harder time grasping it.

Now, how do I/We cut this out?

Thomas

see below

Thomas,
    When both sides require machining you need to consider what is going to take place in regards to fixturing after you get the front done. It is easy to machine yourself into a corner necessitating some complex fixture to machine the back side that would not be necessary if this was considered prior to machining the front.

You may find it helpful to start with stock that is wide and long enough to leave a 1/4" border around most of the model after machining. This will provide a flat clamping surface when turned over as well as a common fixed point for setting the XY work offsets. Then machine the front leaving about .050 at the bottom. After the back side is machined this would then be the last operation, a profile cut leaving about a .005 bottom, the part can easily be pushed out by hand and cleaned up with a file or sandpaper.

It would be easier to offer additional suggestions/options if we could see the machining required for the back side.

Forget about the back side for now. I can't even figure out how to get the front side cut out.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TPPJR
    Forget about the back side for now. I can't even figure out how to get the front side cut out.

Thomas
    No, wrong approach. You may find it daunting but you have to tackle the whole thing it once. I asked earlier if you can post more pictures as jpg's (I am software challenged and can't open your axf files or whatever they are.) with pictures I might be able to give you some pointers.

Thomas,
    Here is a file that cuts the front, won't do you much good but it may offer some ideas.

I know it's frustrating, but you have to get over it , there is a learning curve, I hate tutorials, but you better start from square one or this frustration will only get worse. Little by little it will become more understandable.

Me thinks you are starting on a too difficult task

Geof, here is a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A3-1.png  

Jpg has been loaded, see message #6 and WMS did a model, see message #13.

I understand what you are saying about the big picture and I have an idea of what I want to do with the fixturing but can't get past the tool path for the project. Once I understand how to do tool paths then I hope to be able to figure out the rest, with much help of course!!!

Open for suggestions.

Thomas

Page 1 of 2 12