588,216 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Power surge has rendered my only mill inoperable!! Please Help

Power surge has rendered my only mill inoperable!! Please Help

I've got a 2000 VF-0E and two nights ago I had what I believe to be a power surge that shut the screen off of the machine.
    I've got it wired to a 40hp Croman rotary phase converter, which seems to be unharmed.
    It blew the FU3 1/2 amp fuse in the back, which I replaced, as well as checking the FU1 and FU2; both being in good shape.

The screen is completely blank, less a small square of about 1/2" in size fluttering in the center-top portion of the screen.

I checked all the lines from the power supply and they are getting all of their proper voltage like +5 and -12 and so on.

The video card shows that it is receiving the proper amount of power and so is the MODOC board. However, the CPU Halt LED is brightly lit, rather than off or dim. Is that normal?

The first thing that I thought could have happened was that I lost the monitor, but I'm also unable to do a "Power Up Restart", though all of the buttons will beep when being depressed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I dare say my business is most certainly hanging in the balance. My machine rep was quoting me anywhere from $1700-$3600 in board parts alone to fix. I'm hoping that I might be able to narrow down for sure what it could be and maybe be able to buy parts second-hand or at least from another source.

Thanks in advance guys......

If time is of the essence, then I do suggest bringing in your dealer to troubleshoot.
    Just to be clear, is your "machine rep" the same as your HFO? If so, did they already troubleshoot or were they just giving you $$ quotes over the phone?

If the dealer is giving you quotes over the phone then it will seem high because they don't know what to expect for damages. Since you need the machine right away, bring in a Haas technician and have it properly evaluated.
    They can troubleshoot on the spot and determine what exactly is wrong and give you a proper quote to fix plus troubleshooting time. They will most likely have the parts to fix it at the same time, and if not they can be overnighted and installed the next day.

Even if you were able to find a problem PCB, motor, or whatever, do you have the time that it will take to ship it somewhere, have it fixed, shipped back? What if that was not the problem? Time lost!

I am all for trying to repair things yourself, but in this situation, it sounds like you need to be back up and running ASAP. That means calling your HFO for service.

It's your decision though!