588,655 active members*
5,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: X4 coolant

X4 coolant

Just got my new X4 10 days ago and the coolant system came without instructions. Asked for Syil trying to get some feedback but nothing until yesterday.
    Some of you can help me?
    Thanks in advance.

gtcknives.com

here is how to do the wiring you will need to connect it to the pin represented by the #10 when you unscrew the black box in the back of the column the relay board is going to be in the upper left corner of it be carefull when you unscrew it the wire that connects what in the column to whats in the black box are not short but they are not long either, also i warn you the wire are a tight fit in the withe box of the pump
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coolant wiring for X4.jpg   relay.JPG  
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Earth screw warning.

The earth screw if tightened sufficiently will break the insulated block, thereby leaving poor pressure on the earth wire lug. It needs a spacer between the insulation and the motor housing for safe operation so that the lug is clamped properly.
    I drilled some small holes in the housing for the capacitor wires, with a very snug fit. Cr@ppey design. The impeller seal lasted 4 hours for me so it is wise to remove the impeller and fix this. Bad surface finish on the casting destroys whatever the seal was. Causes spring water spray fever in the tank. I just put on a premolded mains lead and fitted a plug on the housing.
    Hinge (piano style) the back part of the cabinet while you have it in bits.
    Check for many loose connections.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks guys!

how do you all find the quality, performance, etc. of the X4? is the quality anywhere in line with something like a Tormach?

squale i dont think you need to ask the same question in all the post to get your answer
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    how do you all find the quality, performance, etc. of the X4? is the quality anywhere in line with something like a Tormach?
    Hey Squale, sorry, just saw your post today. I think I can't answer your question, cause I never saw one Tormach around here. Being a custom knifemaker, X4 was all I could afford, sounds like Tormach with 4th axis costs as much as two X4, doesn't?

yep about twice, but you do get twice the machine
    so how do you like your x4+ so far? do you have alot of play on the z axis

Quote Originally Posted by ataxy View Post
    here is how to do the wiring you will need to connect it to the pin represented by the #10 when you unscrew the black box in the back of the column the relay board is going to be in the upper left corner of it be carefull when you unscrew it the wire that connects what in the column to whats in the black box are not short but they are not long either, also i warn you the wire are a tight fit in the withe box of the pump
    I just want to confirm that the Live 240v wire goes onto the terminal labled "COM" and the wire to the U2W1 terminal on the pump connects to the terminal labled "KB" on the relay board?

well i dont know for 240 mine is plugged in 120 but if its the same then just follow the image in post two and you should be on you way

Being a novice, do you have a little more info on installing the coolant pump wiring on an X4? Pictures would help... If adding wires, wire size would also help...

Thanks,
    Kendall

Hi Kendall
    I didn't installed the coolant, instead, I'm using cold air system on mine.
    gtcknives.com

Hooking up the Coolant Pump

RE: this is a 2010 Syil X4 Standard (Yellow)

FYI,
    The factory just got back to me. They said;

The wiring schematic furnished in the manual is not complete, no worry, pre-wired it before the mill was shipped...

And also; that the electrical layout plan schematic was labeled wrong, that looking Left to Right, the AC.contactor for coolant was the 1st relay and the one next Right is the AC.contactor for e-stop...

All you have to do is to wire the pumps common wire to 2 t1, hot wire to 4 t2, and the ground wire to 6 t3 on the secondary relay (the first relay)...

Now this makes perfect sense to me, just a couple mistakes in the owners manual...

Thanks for everyone's help,
    Kendall