587,197 active members*
2,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

1100 - How messy

When I get my 1100 it will go in my garage sharing space with my wife's washer, dryer and some clothes she hangs near there.

How far does the 1100 throw chips and coolant?
    How bad is the coolant odor?

When you're using the 1.5" face mill, it can throw chips and coolant past the chip guards.

I would look into a shower curtain style enclosure.

Frederic

That sounds like the making of a fight in short order......

I don't run coolant but chips will find their way to the surrounding area. I certainly would not put it close to the laundry area unless a few chips won't bother anyone. My machine is in a seperate room and chips find their way to the rest of the shop.

Ndog,

You might want to read this thread. It shows how to make a full encosure for the Tormach. It's not cheap, but may be worth it.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...closure-6.html

Frederic

There are many cuts that result in chips and coolant leaving my enclosure. Currently I'm using a few accessory shielding hacks to reduce the mess leaving the mill, but I still suffer from coolant spray in unwanted places, plus some amount of stray chips. If you need the mess to be fully contained then you will want some kind of full enclosure. I think the shower-curtain style should work just fine, if you don't want the time and expense of building a frame and solid panels & doors. I'm hoping to build both a full enclosure and an upgraded table-shield setup like keen posted about, so that I can have full containment of chips and coolant without a table shield, and then deploy a fully-enclosed table shield with dust removal fittings for grinding and pcb milling operations.

The user built enclosures look like the ultimate solution, a bit pricey but really nice.

I think I'll try the gallon bag/magnet splash guard in combination with a shower curtain or welding screen.

Do the coolants have an odor?

My cheap little harbor freight manual mill spits chips all around my mill. From there I seem to track
    those chips all over the house.

Getting them out of the living room carpet is a major pain. I can just imagine what an 1100 CNC mill will do.

"SWMBO" won't take kindly to metal chips in the living room carpet.

In leu of a chip guard/enclosure, you may want to get used to sleeping on the couch at night.

MetalShavings

haha try having a bridgeport series 1 and using a 2.5" facemill to face 2x4x1.5 mild steel...aluminum chips are ok but those hardened steel chips in the carpet are a nightmare...

I use Hangsterfer S-500 and don't notice any objectionable odors from it, either fresh or when it is 6 months old.

The bigger your cutter diameter, the farther the chips go. Face mills or fly cutters can throw them several feet.

Mike

Doesn't matter what kind of milling machine you end up with, you will have chips in what ever room it exists in. I have been pretty careful to setup all sorts of shielding around my 1100, but there are at least 1 chip every few seconds that just magically get out. After an hour run, that turns out to be a lot of chips! Then, of course, there are the ones that come with the part when you take it out, as you clean things up, etc.

I would recommed a doormat of astro-turf, that helps get things off your shoes. I would also recommend cover-alls. No matter what you do, you will still end up with a couple of chips in your hair/clothes/skin that will make it all the way to your master bedroom.

Im using cool mist 77 for coolant and no smell as well.

The gallon bag over the head does a remarkable job of containing coolant and chips.

You could also look at doing some sort of portable barrier screen somewhat like a welding screen you could pull out while machining to make sure nothing gets into the laundry area.

David

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been cleaning and arranging things in the garage and I keep coming to the conclusion that sooner rather than later I'll need to build a shielded enclosure.

I know nothing about coolants so the input is particularly helpful. For most of the manual milling that I've done I used an acid brush dipped in cutting oil and held against the cutter.

You need to cut eye and mouth holes otherwise it tends to steam up a bit.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    The gallon bag over the head does a remarkable job of containing coolant and chips.

David

Talking

After 2000 hours my wife has become adapted to a life of chips and dust.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    After 2000 hours my wife has become adapted to a life of chips and dust.
    Those first 2,000 hours were probably a bit dicey, though.

During the 2000 hours she became the machine operator.:idea: Problem solved.:devious:
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Cool Mist 77 is the way to go, it's like the blue waters of paradise, and no smell, and not too slippery on the hands. I wouldn't drink it, but man does it look good.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

this stuff?

yes... Kool Mist is awesome. still a noob and just picked it up friday but it literally MADE me have to build a cardboard enclosure. yup. cardboard. I almost doubled my speeds by using the kool mister (portable unit) and was finally running my 3/8 rougher at 25 ipm instead of SEVEN at .150 doc which was the highest I could go without melting al from the heat.

but when I increased the speed the chips flew like crazy and the wife is already making me vacuum the living room because my little x3 covers the garage in chips.

saturday morning I got fed up and took some .275" heavy duty cardboard from work and built a "temporary" enclosure. I have the pump, plumbing, drain, and rust bullet paint for the real one but can't afford the down time to build it right now.

mister

enclosure- 8 hours of machining yesterday and 10 today and side from blowing off parts the cardboard never even has moisture spots

serious cardboard

after ten hours of machining today there is a small puddle on each end of the table... shop read away from completely dry

made a larger chip guard to. 20x8" polycarb, 2x2 al angle and 2 cheapo HF magnetic mounts ($3 for both) the tape is just to cover the steel around the magnets and protect the vises.

this its just yesterday

chips fly. EVERYWHERE. creativity and ingenuity can contain most of them. daily sweeping, a GOOD thick door mat, and and a vacuum can get the rest.

btw...,i machine in the flip flops in the last picture. they stay outside the door, but chips in my hair, pockets, ears, and everywhere else still sneak in. sometimes I remember to hit myself with compressed air, but usually forget.

The thick heavy plastic, like used on door strips works well.
    Strong magnets hold them in place.

Like the safety boots.:wee:

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    The thick heavy plastic, like used on door strips works well.
    Strong magnets hold them in place.

Like the safety boots.:wee:
    yup yup, that's what's keeping chips out of my column above my $7 (LMS) home made way cover. one large magnet at the top and 4 small ones on the column. they just move if the head comes all the way down

lol.... safety first- after speed, ease, cost and efficiency

Page 1 of 2 12