587,132 active members*
2,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Reduce Setup Times by 92%. Eliminate Bolts & Clamps in Workholding.
Page 1 of 2 12

Reduce Setup Times by 92%. Eliminate Bolts & Clamps in Workholding.

Why move a clamp if you don't have to? Why machine around a holding bolt when you can machine OVER it? Why build dedicated fixtures over and over when only one fixture will do it all? All these questions and more can be answered at http://www.invert-a-bolt.com. If you're skeptical, see what an expert (he and his team credited with saving $1Billion on the F-18 E/F program) in high-speed machining says about it at http://www.invert-a-bolt.com/testimon.shtml .
    Looking for a LEAN MANUFACTURING SOLUTION? Need to SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE setup times? Look no further!
    Check it out TODAY! :banana:

We use these. In my opinion, they work ok as long as you don't need to tighten the part down too tight. If I remember right, they shot a video for something of one of our fixtures that use them.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Follow up

The amount of tightening is dependant upon the torque applied which is dependant upon the size of fastener being used. The bigger the hex in the head of the stud and the bigger the diameter of the stud, the higher the torque that can be applied. I wonder whether you were using the right size for the job?

Threads were 1/2-13. The main problem was with stripping of the 'insert'. More than likely, operator error though.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

You might want to consider the 5/8" fastener.....

These look pretty cool. Expensive though...
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

I don't see how you can guarantee that there will not be any seperation created between the work and the top of the fixture screw? Wouldn't you have to be extremely lucky to make the "pulldown screw" threads perfectly in phase with the tapped holes in the work or fixture?

Is there some kind of differential thread principle being used to create any kind of pull down forces?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

They ARE pretty cool! And I wouldn't discount them as expensive until you use them. They range in cost from about $20 to less than $40??!!! That's expensive? Besides, What does it cost to stop your operation and make a clamp change? every time. Or, if you torque that clamp down too hard and warp your part? How about the value of a super stable setup? versus chatter, broken cutters, slowed feeds etc. That's why they're great for high-speed machining - you need stability to fully realize the benefits of your multi-million dollar HSM. What about being able to access your part from 5 sides? Talk about savings in tooling cost. The list goes on and on. There are so many cost savings inherent in the use of these fasteners and especially the related modular tooling that it warrants further investigation.

HuFlungDung, once the inner insert is threaded up a little, it springs up and only is held by a spring, therefor allowing it to match the threads in the part.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Correct. The inner stud is designed to "float" into position, matching the receiving thread perfectly. The stud is also designed to have room to move in X & Y so that if the receiving hole isn't exactly in the correct position it will still "find" it.

Ok, now I understand it. Thanks.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Twistr, would you comment a little on the 92% time savings. I think I can add/remove a clamp faster than I can spot drill, drill and tap a hole.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Sure, I would be glad to comment on the 92%! Admittedly it takes time to prep for the use of Invert-A-Bolt™ fasteners, but that time is offset by the savings derived from their use. That percentage comes from feedback that customers went from hours per setup to minutes per setup. When using our modular fixtures you can unload a finished part and load an entirely new part in a matter of minutes. The holding/ locating is the same. The setup is identical. That's because the methodology makes it possible. You don't even have to dial up because everything is in a "known" location. Check out this link: http://www.invert-a-bolt.com/lean.shtml or this link: http://www.invert-a-bolt.com/shop_cm.shtml#UCMF and see if it makes more sense.

IT's a..SUB TABLE... wow.... sorry but as a toolmaker ,it's nothing new
    still if it's LEAN MANUFACTURING then it must be good ;-)
    isn't LEAN MANUFACTURING havard speak for "i've just understood what that old
    guy we paid off/sacked was talking about give me a bonus." ?
    maybe it's just me.

I appreciate your sentiments. Lean is the watchword of the day! But, of course without Lean we're doomed to send it all to China. I realize it's not a magic pill. But, in the context of a SYSTEM that uses particular methods, significant savings can be achieved. This SYSTEM provides for the use of off-the-shelf modular components or can be simply used with locating pins and Invert-A-Bolt™ fasteners. This SYSTEM is suitable for many types of machining including forged & cast parts. Where this SYSTEM shines in particular is in the machining of hogout parts using picture-frame concepts. Yes the fixture has to be EXTREMELY accurate and repeatable for such a scenario. The part is held from below, using PATENTED fasteners, eliminating ALL obstructions to machining. If you care to think of it as a simple sub-plate, that is your perogative. But, I think it is important to note that the use of it and the elimination of dedicated fixtures and their design/build would be somewhat threatening to a toolmaker....I completely understand the fear. However, I would be the 1st to say that these modular fixtures aren't for every part and every situation. They are particularly suitable for the machining of monolithic parts on high speed machining centers. We have customers who have eliminated 60-70 dedicated fixtures and replaced them with just 1 modular fixture. These fixtures are perfect for families of parts and the like....

"Lean is the watchword of the day! But, of course without Lean we're doomed to send it all to China. "

Give me a break, as an Aerospace Engineer with Greenbelt certification and tons of Lean Mfg. experience, I can say greed and disrespect for skilled workers are the factors that are sending work to China period. Lean Mfg. works if it is implemented in the proper fashion. Just making idle threats of losing work does constitute proper Lean implementation. I counted on my skilled toolmakers the most when I was mfg. support because they always came through when the next greatest thing was delivered and all it produced was scrap.

"Yes the fixture has to be EXTREMELY accurate and repeatable for such a scenario. The part is held from below, using PATENTED fasteners, eliminating ALL obstructions to machining. If you care to think of it as a simple sub-plate, that is your perogative."

The way I see it is you will still need an accurate drill jig plate to ensure part location repeatabilty for "extremely" accurate setups.

Mechanical-
    My point is that without providing a viable alternative to cheap labor/services, much of our manufacturing is destined to go where it will be done most efficiently, perhaps China. I am not an advocate for sending ANYTHING to China for manufacture and I DO believe we have it in us to compete and well. My point exactly. Our SYSTEM helps manufacturers get there, whether you call it LEAN or just more efficient manufacturing. If you can reduce setups by SIGNIFICANT margins and provide the means for stable, high-speed machining, won't that build the case for keeping the stuff here, in the U.S.? I have a great deal of respect for U.S. skilled toolmakers & manufacturers. They are our customers! And that is what we are trying to do: Keep their jobs!

"The way I see it is you will still need an accurate drill jig plate to ensure part location repeatabilty for 'extremely' accurate setups."

I don't disagree. If your are talking about extremely accurate as within tenths of thousandths, a drill jig may be in order. The tolerances on our modular fixtures are .0005" hole to hole and +/-.001" to +/-.003" from centerline depending on the size of the fixture plate and the material from which it is made. Aluminum fixtures will not hold as close a tolerance as the cast iron or steel fixtures.

Couldnt be bothered seeing the video since it was a quicktime video. (Sh1ttime)
    Whats the deal with web site putting up quicktime videos when it requires the user to download the viewer? Why not a common file like MPG. MPG doesn not require a special viewer to download.

You may not realise, but a great majority of users here will not install quicktime because it interferes with Mach2 a commonly used program on this site.
    Being outside the square !!!

I wonder if you noticed that the Video that you're referring to is both in QT and Flash. Would Flash also cause a problem? See: http://www.invert-a-bolt.com/video.shtml. Also, the pictures at the bottom of the page depict the beginning and end of each video for those who have difficulties with the formats provided.

It's unfortunate that it didn't work out for you because those videos portray picture-frame machining (with tabs) of a hogout part. The videos are of an actual part being machined. Unfortunately actual video from the machine was too difficult to ascertain what was going on, so we had to go to this method instead.

Page 1 of 2 12