587,178 active members*
4,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > CNC 6040 from Carving-CNC. Help/advice/suggestions/building thread

CNC 6040 from Carving-CNC. Help/advice/suggestions/building thread

Hi guys.

I just pulled the trigger on the Carving CNC 6040 kit with stepper motors included. I choose not to buy this with the electronics because of all the problems/troubleshooting i have read on this forum.

I will probably buy the Gecko 540 and a 48V PSU. I have found a couple of interesting combos on ebay and on some other shops around the world.

An example is this combo: G540 Stepper Controller Package (No motors included) [CC-01] - US$350.00 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier. It doesnt say if this is a 110 or 230 voltage package, but i can see a mark on the photo stating 200-230V i think so I bet im safe there.

The spindle I want to use is the Kress 1050W, and i have found a couple of these as well on ebay. Also found a clamp for the Kress and i hope I can manage to make a fastening point on the Z axis for this one. It should not be an issue.

For me, as far as i can see, the Kress will be a easier solution not have to think about water cooling and such things. The minus is that i am not able to set the speed for an accurate RPM. But I guess it will work reasonably good for a hobby-artist like me!

So, there my knowledge stops so far.

Will also try to find an old PC, not a laptop, to use with this machine. I will use the Mach3 for running the machine but for CAD and such I am not sure what to go for but thats a minor worry!

I have also read something about bad cables to the steppers? Are the cables winded, or is it possible to change them out to shielded ones?

As you can see, i have a lot of challenges to get this to work since my knowledge is on a minimum stage at this point. But, with a little help from the CNC community, and some reading and studying i WILL get this to work! Thanks in adcance for any help provided.

No hints or tips regarding my machine? Any suggestions or improvements before buying more components?

What about the shielded cables, are they necessary to upgrade? :-)

I can't speak specifically to the Carving-CNC machine, but I did buy a very similar 6040 off of eBay.

The mechanicals seem to be quite good. Like you, I use a Gecko G540 and a 48V power supply. I bought mine with the control box but never even tried it out as the reputation of the electronics is poor and the quality looks marginal at best.

I did use the supplied stepper cables and had problems with jerky steppers due to interference. I switch to shielded cables and the problem went away.

I have a water cooled spindle which I cool via a small radiator designed for computer cpu's.

All in all, I'm very happy with the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
    I can't speak specifically to the Carving-CNC machine, but I did buy a very similar 6040 off of eBay.

The mechanicals seem to be quite good. Like you, I use a Gecko G540 and a 48V power supply. I bought mine with the control box but never even tried it out as the reputation of the electronics is poor and the quality looks marginal at best.

I did use the supplied stepper cables and had problems with jerky steppers due to interference. I switch to shielded cables and the problem went away.

I have a water cooled spindle which I cool via a small radiator designed for computer cpu's.

All in all, I'm very happy with the machine.
    Thanks! Is it any special cables I need, or can I use someone like these? 22 AWG Four Core sheilded Stepper Motor Cable [CB-09] - US$3.70 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier
    Are they soldered to the steppers, or are they screwed? Have never opened a stepper motor so I am just asking so I dont get any surprises when I receive the machine.

Will also buy a cable from the Gecko to my computer, and i hope this will be sufficient. Havent read something about bad cables needs to be of a special type between those: 3 metre DB25 Male to DB25 Male printer port cable [CB-14] - US$19.80 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier

Emergency switch: Auxilliary Latching Emergency Stop Switch [SW-09] - US$13.90 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier

Have also been thinking about limit switches but there I am totally new so that require som reading before I start with that project

Is there anything I have forgotten now?