586,094 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > How many people know what a milling machine is?

View Poll Results: How many people know what a milling machine is?

Voters
626. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 in 10 or less

352 56.23%
  • 2 in 10

142 22.68%
  • 4 in 10

79 12.62%
  • 6 in 10

30 4.79%
  • 8 in 10

9 1.44%
  • 10 in 10

14 2.24%
Page 2 of 4 1234
    I also find it pathetic and irritating that people are not more curious about how products they use every day are manufactured. Everyone just forgets about science, engineering, and manufacturing etc. and gives awards and look up to stupid morons who throw a ball or act or sing, that's a huge problem with our country. The ones who are out there using there brains should be the ones looked up to. Oh well stupid people do stupid things and smart people try to out smart each other.

What I think makes this thread hit a sore spot for many of us is that 50 years ago maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 would have known what a mill was. Now we are lucky if 1 in 10 can even understand us. The mills are not disappearing either, its just common sense, curiosity, and ambition that has vanished.

Ever see Idiocracy? Its supposed to be humor but dam if we aren't headed there.

Have a laugh...

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1526530841/

Seen the movie and I see it everyday I leave the house or turn on the news, were already there buddy. The infection just hasn't hit everyone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by duce00 View Post
    What I think makes this thread hit a sore spot for many of us is that 50 years ago maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 would have known what a mill was. Now we are lucky if 1 in 10 can even understand us. The mills are not disappearing either, its just common sense, curiosity, and ambition that has vanished.

Ever see Idiocracy? Its supposed to be humor but dam if we aren't headed there.

Have a laugh...

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1526530841/

"There is more that I will never know than I will ever know"

heh, that's quite neat. reminds me of the old chaps who taught me when I was a youngster... they said "I've forgoten more than you'll ever know"

And they were right!

[Edit]Sounds a bit agressive lol but they were Scottish engineers, poor buggers are all dead now *sighs* I remember them all. All their knowledge I have is getting passed on to no one new- no investment in training *sadness*[/Edit]
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Hello ,
    I would like to start fresh for the CNC Training and start a new career in cleveland(ohio).kindly advise the time period to learn this course&job prospects .

Regards
    Mir M Ali
    Cleveland

Just joined this forum, find it interesting. Just looking for my first cnc vert for my shop. trying to figure out best controllers for the least amount of trouble. Been in this trade for 33 years. 23 of which were building and repairing permanent molds for aluminum castings and machining fixtures for the same. Comments are on the nose, people have no idea how things are made or the effort that go into them. The people that taught me my trade are long gone. No one is interested in learning this anymore. Knowledge not shared is lost.

My immediate supervisor comes in the shop almost daily. Every day he comes in he asks some inane question, as though he's really interested...and he may be...but....

After 10 months, he quite literally doesn't know the difference between a mill and a lathe. Really.

This is what you get when you work in a place run by people with the highest educations in the land.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    This is what you get when you work in a place run by people with the highest educations in the land.
    The trouble is it's the wrong kind of education. I've often seen people highly educated in one field seem to think that makes them an expert in every field.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Very very good point on education quality, and quite relevant to the question as I see it.

I have spent a fair amount of time in local colleges over the last 20 years and Ive seen some unbelievably stupid teachers. What I really resent about them is not that they are milking the education system because they cant survive in the open market...its not even that they are typically arrogant ladder climbers...what really pisses me off is that they churn out a whole new generation of idiots who ultimately degrade my industry, my country, and my child's future.

So maybe we can all make a point in how ever small a way to undo the dumbing down of the people who will be our future. Teach them to solve problems, teach them to take pride in they're work, teach them to think for themselves rather than letting some politician or they're pop idols do it for them.

(ahem...stepping off soap box now)

When I got into this "racket" back in the 70's . I had the pleasure to work with people who brought me up in the skill of moldmaking. They would share their hard earned knowledge with me, but kept the boss ignorant. on purpose. he moved up because of connections. What can you say to that? Anyway, its best to try to help others along if they want to learn and don't have an attitude. young people today dont want to get dirty,stand in one spot for 10-12 hours or do difficult math problems. They will never have the satisfaction of seeing their tooling produce thousands of parts for the various industries that built America.

Quote Originally Posted by fastleather View Post
    young people today dont want to get dirty,stand in one spot for 10-12 hours or do difficult math problems. .
    can't say that i blame them and I hope I'm doing good enough as a father so that my kids won't have to either . but many young people will be doing it out of love for tinkering or the fact they don't fit in a white collar world , and this is where i agree 100% with your statement that its best to try to help others along if they want to learn

as long as there are people who enjoy it then there will always be someone to teach it (properly). this trade will never die , it's only going to continue to evolve as it has from the start

technology
    gotta love it

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Its definitely a different spin on the question for those of us who have children who are coming up in the "global economy".

I had a great conversation with my 13 year old daughter tonight about this very thread. Basically I instilled in her (once again) that she will have to utilize the resources that have been provided to her and push forward. The freedom and opportunity she enjoys will one day be her responsibility to pass on through hard work and forward thinking.

All philosophizing aside, my daughter definitely wont be one of those girls who cant fix a flat tire or operate basic power tools.

She is getting close to running my mill but I am still not quite sure how she will be able to explain to her girlfriends what it is. :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    There's plenty that think a router made from Al extrusions is a milling machine...
    Kipper, I'm offended! I'm one of them!

If I ever get the darn thing done, and it's able to do any kind of milling, its a milling machine.

Of course, I might just call it SAM*

*Stepper Assisted Machining
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

I've got a few different names for my mill, none of which are printable here...
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by duce00 View Post
    She is getting close to running my mill but I am still not quite sure how she will be able to explain to her girlfriends what it is. :withstupi
    Her girlfriends need only know that it's a machine for making the stuff you need to make purses and shoes. After all, your daughter's factory will need tools, molds, etc for its workers to make her a fortune in her designer line of trinkets, right?

Nobody usually knows what I am talking about if I talk CNC lathes or mills, sometimes someone will have some high school shop experience....

Quote Originally Posted by fastleather View Post
    No one is interested in learning this anymore. Knowledge not shared is lost.
    Web is a wonderful place to share your knowledge. If you want to share what you have, present it over the web. You will find out that there are so many skill seekers are around the world looking for right place to learn. If you already have a website post it.

China

The United States manufacturing base, is based in China.
    The future of manufacturing in America is in China.
    EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA!!!!!
    Japanese made goods were junk in the 1960s
    That changed, China's junk rep will change too.
    Dirtsheep lives in a bubble, he's never been out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    can't say that i blame them and I hope I'm doing good enough as a father so that my kids won't have to either . but many young people will be doing it out of love for tinkering or the fact they don't fit in a white collar world , and this is where i agree 100% with your statement that its best to try to help others along if they want to learn

as long as there are people who enjoy it then there will always be someone to teach it (properly). this trade will never die , it's only going to continue to evolve as it has from the start

technology
    gotta love it

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN PARSONS View Post
    The United States manufacturing base, is based in China.
    The future of manufacturing in America is in China.
    EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA!!!!!
    Japanese made goods were junk in the 1960s
    That changed, China's junk rep will change too.
    Dirtsheep lives in a bubble, he's never been out of town.
    i have zero understanding as to why you would feel the need to be rude .
    if you feel the need to attack me because i haven't given up and buried my head in the sand as you have then that is your problem . the world will simply pass you by ,
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Page 2 of 4 1234