588,197 active members*
4,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Correct voltage and amp. on m-code relay

Correct voltage and amp. on m-code relay

We have a VF3 with the additional m-code relay board on it. Would like to wire in a solenoid valve for air so I can control the air going to our mister. Does anyone know what the max. voltage and amperage is for this board. Do I also need a diode in the circiut to prevent from backfeeding voltage into the board. Have looked at other posters posts (helicopter johns) on how to do this but being this is a older machine wanted to check first.

Have contacted Haas but they only send me the paperwork on how to install the board and what m-codes to use.

Thanks!

I've done an install on a 1993 VF1 so I'll check tomorrow to see if I can find any ratings on the board. I don't recall seeing anything of relevance though. I have the machine hooked up to another relay which only draws 60-mA, so that's definitely not testing any current limits (lol).

Since the CNC board indeed uses relays, chances are you can use a decent sized solenoid to it, since only a very small relay would restrict it. Though you can always use the CNC to control another relay to be safe, if you wanted. Adding a fuse wouldn't hurt. And as you mentioned, adding a "clamping" diode (for DC) isn't such a bad idea either. Depending on the type of solenoid you plan to use, the sol coil might have one already, and the relay might have its own too, but stacking them up isn't likely to interfere with the solenoid function to any noticeable degree since they often get stacked together in other situations.

Somewhere I remember reading 1 amp at 120 volts AC. I think it I safer, however, to stick with low voltages on this relay and I either switch a very low power solenoid valve directly or use a secondary relay to switch high powers and voltages.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

The user outputs are designed to switch signal level not power. These relay contacts are isolated from all other circuits and may switch up to 120V AC at one amp. Power circuits and inductive loads must have snubber protection.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Well, I checked behind the machines today....looks like they're actually rated at a similar spec to comparatively-sized relays. The older machine we have is rated 10A @ 250VAC and 10A @ 30VDC, whereas the newer (standardized) machines are 5A @ 250VAC and 5A @ 30VDC. Nevertheless you will probably want to isolate them with an optocoupler or relay to be safe.

Our 90's machines have removable "icecube" relays which they appear to have moved away from at some point, since the standardized boards have ones that aren't immediately replaceable. not sure I like that choice, though the boards are more packed so component size may have become an issue for em. oh well...