588,656 active members*
6,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

power tailstock

is a power tailstock really necessary on a cnc lathe? other than drilling what operations can be done with a power tail stock? lastly how would you build one? i was kind of thinking about driving mine with a stepper attached to a ball screw under the lathe bed. the only thing i'm having a problem figuring out is how to clamp the tail stock to the bed the current clamp does not maintain constant tension and is only used for locking it down. although the real question is...is this really necessary if you have a turret tool changer on the cross slide?

Road runner 440,
    Borrisl has a power tailstock on his shopmaster and has a picture posted on 9th post of thread. You might jot him a note and findout what he able to do with it. Seems like his is able to repair turbines with the complexed angle head arrangement on his machine. Any look at his pic's and if you can figure it all out, let me know!!!!!!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21334

Ron

i looked at the post and what he built doesn't use the stock tailstock. instead he used the steady rest and bolted a tube into it with i assume a screw mechanism that drives the drill head.

Roadrunner440,
    Actually, that appears to be the stock tailstock for the shopmaster, I have one also but as you say he appears to have done something with the steady rest, may be for additional bracing. I might go down and photo mine and post the pic, may not help you but may give someone else an idea.

Ron

Runner4404spd (sorry got the name wrong in the last couple of posts),

Here are the picks, looks like he unbolted the tube assemble and moved it forward. Can't see how he attached, maybe he bolted from the front instead of from the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5230510.JPG   P5230511.JPG   P5230512.JPG   P5230509.JPG  

thats a very interesting design. i was planning on having the entire tailstock movable across the full length of the axis. i will let you know how it turns out.