588,347 active members*
5,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Viper Servo drives > Viper Servo Drive Recommendation

Viper Servo Drive Recommendation

I have a Ganesh Knee mill. It currently has a Mitutoyo Millstar III control on it. It uses Glentek SMA7115 analog servo amplifiers. They use unregulated/rectified 120VAC input. The drives themselves are rated 15A continuous/25A peak @ 30-220VDC. The DC Brush servo motors are Glentek GM4020-39 and are rated at 1.28HP/.995KW, 6.6A Continuous Stall Rating. They do have tachs on them. Feedback is through an encoder on the Z axis servo and Mitutoyo glass scales on X&Y. The original motion controller is a Galil DMC1020. So there must be a board that converts the signals from the glass scales to quadrature input for it.

Mill and Millstar control are mint. I was trying to find a step/dir to Analog converter, that would have been my first choice. I am unsure why these are not more prevalent. My next choice was to find DC Brush Servo Amps that will replace the existing Glentek servo amplifiers.

I see the Viper 200 seems to just be at the top of the voltage range.

Larry, your thoughts on which drive I should choose? I also see you have a new Viper 250.

I guess some of my trepidation is tuning the servo motors once converted. I'm not afraid of doing the actual conversion, I recently converted a Dyna DM4400 with ATC and its up and running, though it took me a year of weekends! My control of choice will be a Flashcut CNC USB signal generator which outputs step and direction

Thanks in advance,
    Marty
    Mesa, AZ

Rectified 120V will give you 170 volts DC. This is still in the range for the Viper 200. As long as the motor is a size 42 or smaller (under 5" in diameter) , there should be no problem.
    The viper 400 is a few months away, but coming (really) . It will be available with as an analog drive version as well as a step/dir version.

I've heard good things about flashcut. Can it do a ATC ?

Larry K
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Larry, thanks for the reply. Yes, Flashcut can handle an ATC. Either driven by a stepper or servo or a geneva mechanism. I retrofitted a Dyna Mechtronics DM4400 with 10 position ATC. (Do a search on YouTube of DM4400 and you will find my machine)
    The support is great and they can do custom macros and engineering for a fee of course.

I like the software. control itself is pretty straight forward. 5 axis capable and outputs step and direction. The servo amplifier closes the loop.
    I really wished I could find a vendor that can take step and direction inputs, encoder input and output analog +/- 0-10VDC. My machine is like new and the Glentek servo amps are matched up to the Glentek DC brush servos.

Any reason why you haven't done a multi axis board like that?

Thanks Larry,
    Marty
    Mesa, AZ

Larry,
    How difficult is it to tune the servo motors? My Glentek motors are 4" in diameter and are 180VDC motors.

You download Vipertune off a page in this forum, and its easy as long as you read the pages manual on tuning and understand what you are doing. Compared to other drives the feed back i get from customers would say its easy to tune.
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com