588,215 active members*
4,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Academic Solid Edge - limitations??

Academic Solid Edge - limitations??

Hi,

I've just started a CAD course and Solid Edge is the chosen product. I have (almost) built my own CNC router and thought formal CAD/CAM training would be useful for me(gov't subsidised ...v cheap)

As a student I am entitled to have my own academic version of Solid Edge but it cannot be used for commerical purposes.

As a hobbyist, I'll want to take SE generated output and put it into a CAM package.

Could anyone please tell me if I am about to become very disappointed???

I'm hopeful that I will be able to use SE models on my own machine without too many hassles.

Your thoughts and options much appreciated.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

I cant answer you question, but I am very curious myself how to take my cad parts created in SE and see them being made on the router I am building. I dont quite understand what is involved in between the model and the machine. I dont think my ignorance is going to last long though.

How do you like using solid edge?

Something tells me you wont be dissapointed, SE is an excelent 3d program and is used very sucsessfully in many companys.

I am anxious to hear the answer to your question.

Someone here is sure to lay out the details for us.

Too early to answer on SE....... had 1 hour tuition so far!!

MY understandindg is that CAD output has a range of filetypes that are processible as input to CAM packages.

CAM packages configure the tools and cutting paths (speeds, direction, waste removal, etc) and create G code.

G code files are input to the controller (eg Mach 3) which translates into pulse instructions to the geckos which are like amplifiers. The geckos control the voltage in and generate high current pulses to the steppers / servos.

I'm also doing a CAM course at the same time. For understanding G codes, I have just bought a book on Amazon for $10 second hand(search on 'NC Programming').

Hope someone answers the initial question ......???????

Andy

Thanks for that. I can say you will like SE. I have hired cad guys for years using autocad and solid works. I didnt use the programs much, only to get dimenisions and roll models around to look at them. 2 years ago I had had enough. I learned SE, and now do all the cad work myself. I dont have many of the problems that they had, or the problems I had trying to get them to do what I needed. I simply love it. I am the same age as you, by the way. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks.

I can give you some links to some tutorials on the web if you want them. I also can give you a couple forums that can help with your questions.

I basicly understand what you explained. The part I am unclear on is the wrighting of the g code. What software does that? Do you have and specific product names? How much does it cost (dont tell me in the thousands) ?

With as many questions I have asked in the past several months, one would think I would have this understood. I learn in a funny way sometims. Some things just dont make sense to me....... then suddenly they do.(nuts)

Also Andy, SE 2d is free now. You might check it out. I meant to ask about your machine your building. Do you have another post with pictures?

I have a log but being very introvert I don't like to promote. For the last 12 months I've been saying ... must post pictures... must post pictures.

Anyway I haven't... but I must....lol

G code is an inherently simple programming code which is interpreted as instructions by the controller.

As it is the language that controls the controllers it is an essential component. When I say inherently simple it is basically an instruction set that causes simple movements to occur.

Whilst simple in concept it is also extensive. The trouble is that one shape could generate thousands of G codes. Just think about walking as being the aim but G code tells which muscle to move.

There are many common codes and I guess many obscure codes. The commmon codes achieve most of the results (think major muscles vs minor muscles).

I personally think that G code does not require much work to understand which is why I have purchased a book.

Other people will disagree. Of that I am sure.

Anyway .......... can anyone please answer the original Q about SE Academic limitations.