587,201 active members*
3,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RF-45 Options?

What are my options when it come to buying an RF-45? What companies carry this mill, and or clones. Who has the best fit, finish, price? The IH12Z looks awesome, I just think it may be out of my budget, I'm not sure yet what the final cost is. Does anyone know of any comparable machines? I need at least 8.75" of Y axis.

Thanks for any input and or advice.

Hoss has a good write-up and spreadsheet here:

RF-45 Clone Mill

The prices and info are a bit out of date, but its a good starting point.

The best fit and finish for this type of machine is the rong fu brand, all others are lesser quality. I've heard the enco machine is near or at the bottom, though I don't have personal experience with it. I'm happy with my MTW, so far ... only had it a couple months though.

Jason

I saw the spread sheet, is Penn Tool the only company that carries the actual Rong Fu? I sent an inquiry to Machine Tools Warehouse , hopefully the shipping wont be a deal breaker. Have you ever heard of them having any coupon codes or discounts for buyers in the United States?

It really is a shame that Industrial Hobbies has so many unsatisfied customers, if they had a good reputation it would be a no brainier, i would buy from them.

Enco sells Rong Fu, perhaps MSC does as well ... I think they are the same company anyway. Rong Fu is on sale right now at Enco. Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies Still pricy though.

When I got my MD001 shipping to western Colorado was only $400 from canada, fuel was cheaper then however. Then there's an $85 (or so) fee to cross the border. All in all, the total was less than it would have been from IH.

I've never heard of any advertized specials at MTW, but it never hurts to ask. Pat is a good guy.

Jason

I'm really hoping MTW works out, 12" of Y travel would be awesome.

How many does it normally take for MTW to respond to an inquiry?

It takes a few days if I remember. Especially if you requested a freight quote ... He has to get a quote from the freight company which takes a day or two in itself.

Jason

i have a rf-40 round column gear head i am running right now, low hours on it, making decent $ hand machining while we are fixing the cnc control on my acra knee mill. once the acra is back to life id like to sell the rf, its on a solid fabbed 5 x 5 angle iron base that has leveling and hold down holes, replaced the sheet metal cabinet base that came with it and was too flimsy. id consider a harbor freight - central machinery mini mill as partial trade, it would fit better in the corner with my mini lathe, and id like something with a few more rpms, the rf max is 1500, tho it has plenty of balls esp with the gear head. dont know where you are, im in NH, would travel a bit to make a swap but not excited about the disassy-box-ship option. its here under power if you want to turn the handles and make some smoke

Thanks, but I'm really not interested in a round column mill.