588,484 active members*
5,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Camsoft and Galil DMC-1841

I'm attempting to put together a Camsoft CNC Pro with a GALIL DMC-1842 / ICM-2900. Here's the deal: In the beginning I was getting a communication error on CNC software start up. No big Thing. I cleaned out the drivers, re-installed the Gaili Card / Camsoft software and set to Delay Thred in NetWiz.. After doing this the CNC program started up just terrific and all of my I/O worked properly until I shut the computer down and turned it on the next day. (I have been saving my settings too!)

After turning the computer off then on, I start the CNC; I get an error window that asks me if I want to register the motion card with GALIL.EXE :Also reads that there was a problem registering the card or problem with the driver. (Camsoft recommends using REGCARD.EXE) I regstered the card using REGCARD.EXE. The CNC starts up and the following happens:

Input #1, 6, and #11 turn on then turn off then #16-#23 turn on then off. I can see the input numbers changing in the logic window as it cycles. It repeats this over and over. The operator interface locks up and you have to force the program close each time.

I repeated the the above processes over and over with the same results each time. Basically you are ok until the computer gets shut down. After that you are screwed because the I/O for the ICM starts going ballistic.

[I do suspect the number of I/O in the diagnoctic window. It shows Inputs #1-#24 / Outputs #25-#32/ Inputs #33-#47/ Outputs #49-63 . #33-#64 are the PC-IO card (Opto22 32 I/O). This is a given since I tested I/O states ON /OFF and they work. (OPTO relays turn on / off and all Input and Output numbers match up with the diagnostic window. I'm assuming the GALIL DMC has 32 I/O is this correct? Or do we only count the complimentary I/O (16 all together) when in CNC set up and configuring I/O.]

I really do not know since I went home frustrated in the hopes that when I go back Monday it will all come together. The bottm line is one question:
    Is this an I/O problem or a GALIL driver problem? If anyone has any thoughts please reply. When I do find the problem I will post it here, It may be simple... or not.

The Galil 1840 series usually has 8 inputs 8 outputs on its own, unless you have an expansion card,
    Mainly the I/O is through the PC Contec card for the extra I/O.
    I once had a similar experience with the Galil/Camsoft drivers etc getting the same message 'register the card'. I spent many, many hours trying new computers with clean install and talking to Camsoft support, never did solve the problem with this particular card.
    The card ran fine with Galil software.
    In the end I sold the whole system.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Any chance that there would be a hardware conflict within Windows itself? Check device manager for little yellow exclamation points.

In spite of what plug and play claims to be, there can sometimes be interrupt conflicts that won't go away unless you learn to do what I call the "PCI Slot Shuffle" No, you don't take dancing lessons to learn this one.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

This sure sounds like driver trouble. I had similar, but different, problems installing camsoft on my big lathe.

Camsoft will most likely want you to completely remove all software and re-install. There's a program called regclean.exe to remove all galil drivers you may want to get familiar with. I'd also READ the FAQ several times on all the questions concerning installing of Galil and Contec boards.

If you set a system restore point in Win XP before starting all this, you've got it made. Just take your system back to that point. If you didn't do this, be sure and make a restore point after you're sure everything is cleaned out.

This is where buying a product from a company with EXCELLENT tech service pays off. All the folks there are great, but I found Ernie knows the most about install/driver problems.

Personally, I'd makle sure I'm as well educated as possible by reading their manual, and then give the Camsoft folks a call before doing anything.

Good luck

Karl

This sounds like a combination of problems, not just communications of the PCI board. You said that the I/O is triggering on/off and locks the computer, so I would check that you have a (properly working) battery backup installed on the computer first and that your I/O are grounded properly.

CamSoft says that you must have clean uniterrupted AC power to the computer as your first line of defense against noise issues on the low voltage non isolated inputs on the ICM-2900.

Do not overload the battery backup with other devices that may draw more power than the backup can handle.

Exclamation ATX Power Supplies

OK, sometimes we overlook certain possibilities. In looking over some Galil documentation I recieved from Camsoft, I found that all GALIL hardware monitors the 5vdc incomming from the ATX power supply. If this drops below 4.75vdc the processor on the GALIL hardware will try to reset. When it does it crashes, fails to start or cannot communicate with controller. My incomming voltage was 4.53vdc...Damn! I replaced the power supply with the same output supply (350W) and now I have 4.83vdc. Now the CNC starts every time! However, I may opt to go to at least a 400W-450W supply.

Thanks everybody! I'll add more to this thread if anything arises.