587,998 active members*
1,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: ONA Wire EDM

Exclamation ONA Wire EDM

Anyone here using an ONA Wire EDM? We have an Ona Prima S250 wire and we are looking for technology for cutting carbide with 0.006" brass wire for thickness’ from 0.25" to 2"

Also we may go to 0.004" wire cutting carbide with either Somsal or BercoCut

We currently cut carbide with 0.006" MegaCut wire. We have user tech. made up but would like to see what other ppl are using. I have contacted Ona on this and we are currently one of very few ppl doing this. I did get tech. for 0.004" Somsal and Berco tech. from them but it's for steel not carbide

Any info would be appreciated..
    Brent
    -------------
    Sometimes people have a hard time reading my emails and posts, so thats why I type slower.
    So people can understand me then.

Wire

Wilkerson,
    Welcome to the EDM forum It's the first time that i come across ONA edm's. You're using wire thickness that most guys don't even know exists. I have used Bercocut wire a lot without any problems. I'm trying Korean made wire now, must admit it's not bad for the price! You might consider CobraCut as well. Then there is the wire from Charmilles Technologies (Sw25X), good quality but a bit expensive. I'm sure they could supply you with the correct diameter wire.

Could you tell us a bit more about the ONA edm, software you use, type of jobs etc.....

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Ona is a company from Spain.

http://www.ona-electroerosion.com/eng/homepage.htm

They make wire and sinkers. Gosiger is the US reseller of their machines.

http://www.gosiger.com

Very good machine. We looked at the one we got and Mits.

We are mainly cutting 4-axis / carbide with 0.006" Grisco MegaCut brass wire. It's been working fine for us. We are making cutting tools for our machines on the shop floor. We make piston rings at our plant.

We use MasterCAM for programming. The machine has it's own special controller. Very similar to a Fanuc controller.

I know when we were at IMTS in Chicago I asked all the EDM booths if they can cut carbide with 0.006" wire or smaller. They all shy'd away from it. Then I told them we cut 4-axis all day long with 0.006 wire they about sh*t. We cut one rough and 4 skims to get the best profile. We have a small radius to hit of 94µm or 0.0037" and a tol of 5µm/0.0001" spacing
    Brent
    -------------
    Sometimes people have a hard time reading my emails and posts, so thats why I type slower.
    So people can understand me then.

Brent,
    I'll see what can i come up with on my side of the ocean regarding 0.006" wire.

Klox
    *** KloX ***

Wilkerson I've sent you a PM please go check it....

Klox
    *** KloX ***

Go directly to their Service and Applications Department.

Your contact is Mrs Itziar Arrizabalaga. Her email address is:
    [email protected].

Anybody got questions about ONA EDM / WEDM. Just ask. As an ONA trained technician I will try and help.

regards

Paul
    www.euroedm.com

Ona Prima S900

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!!!

I work with TopSolid'Wire and i need to understand how to control the 4 axis in the machine!!! in the NC program appears XY and UV!! it's possible appears the angle??