588,229 active members*
4,095 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > I want to make dog tags. What milling machine would you reccomend?

I want to make dog tags. What milling machine would you reccomend?

I want to make dog tags for my friends. I am playing in 3ds max but not sure how to export gcode. Anyone know how to export my drawing? Any info would be awesome.

I assume laser is out of the question, too expensive (correct me if im wrong!!)

I want to cut metal, im not sure how thick, please suggest a thickness and type of metal.

What CNC milling router setup would be the best? What model of machine? the setup would need to allow for detail routing for name and fine detail for maybe a image embossed on metal dog tag. What software package would you recommend?

I am looking for a reliable setup. Willing to spend a couple of extra bucks, Not sure if Harbor Freight CNC milling machine would cut it. (No pun intended.)

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Source File:
    3dsmax dog-tag dog tag

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails products_fixx_lg.jpg  

IMO, get them stamped out then laser engrave. Milling them would be slow and a PIA.

If I were to go the stamped route, what stamp company do you recommend that can create different dog tag stamps, I want to make different shapes, ie, star, rectangle, oval etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie32 View Post
    If I were to go the stamped route, what stamp company do you recommend that can create different dog tag stamps, I want to make different shapes, ie, star, rectangle, oval etc.
    If you want to make different shapes, and assuming they are made of steel, I would get them laser cut or waterjet cut. Getting them stamped will be more expensive because you would need a different die for every shape.

Laser cutting or waterjet will be more expensive per-tag than stamping, but there won't be a fee to make the die.

Then you can laser mark the writing on them.

I have had these guys laser cut stainless steel circuit board stencils for me before:

SMT Stencils - Solder Paste Stencils - Laser Cut Stencils | Stencils Unlimited

Last time I looked at their site, they offered laser cutting services and they do chemical etching - no idea what the cost would be.

I'd never want to mill dog tags myself - not really the best job for a CNC machine.