588,603 active members*
9,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > Pictures of my first cuts with my Torchmate 1

Pictures of my first cuts with my Torchmate 1

Finally got everything up and running yesterday! I still have some tweeking to do to get the cuts cleaner, and will be rebuilding the gantry next weekend using a linear rail, but so far so good!

BTW, can anyone throw out some of your settings used on 1/8"? I am using a Cutmaster 101, and so far the best cuts are at 55 ipm, 80 psi, and the plasma set at 40 amps. The cut speed just seems to be toooo slow to me, expecially when the plasma manual says to cut at something like 230 ipm. But when I do, I get a massive kerf, and smaller holes and interior shapes are just plain sloppy. One time the torch outran the cut for a couple seconds.

Here are the pics!

The elk is the very first piece I cut. The horse has my daughters name below it (I had to sneak it out of her bed tonight, she wanted to sleep with it!). The windmill I will powder coat and hang on our front door. I made my son one too, but he already hung it on his wall. Last is the CSU Rams logo. More on that later!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elk.jpg   Chelsea.jpg   Windmill.jpg   CSU Rams.jpg  

Linear rail/

Are you planning to use 80/20?

No, I'm going to fit it to the existing gantry. I guess I should have said I am rebuilding the carriage, not the gantry itself.

i cut at 60ipm @40amp with cutmaster 101 and tm1. i find that what ever they recommend for thickness and material set the machine to about half that speed and set unit to the amperage. seems 60-80 ipm witha tm1 is about max i use that for 16ga-1/4" and just change amperage.

I have a cutmaster101 and i can tell you what they list in the book for cut speeds is always off it is generally always slower.Although it says in their book cut speeds can vary up to 50%.Use what works.Keep trying different settings until you get something you feel is good.

I cut with a Cutmaster 50 at 100 IPM or so, 70 psi, 40 amps, on 1/8" steel. Any faster with this small of a plasma is pointless, lol. It is only 40 amps.
    I should say that I don't lose cuts at 100 IPM, for parts with lots of small holes, etc. I will slow it down, but for most shapes and parts, I run in the 80-100 IPM range.

I suggest at that slow of a cut speed you turn your amperage down.

Are you saying you get a massive kerf width, or lots of slag/swarf/crap hanging off the cut edge?

Does your gantry have any "racking" to it, causing it to lose accuracy at high speeds? Or perhaps the cutting slats allow the sheet to move at high speeds?

I have a hard time believeing that a CM101 can't keep up on 1/8", but stranger things have happened...

By the way, those parts are looking 150% awesome! Congrats on getting it up and running!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

I know you'll be well pleased with the conversion to linear rail.

massajamesb - At first, it was a very wide cut width. But I forgot to change the tip on the torch, and found it still had the 80A tip in. I switched to a 40A, and that helped a bunch. I have reduced the amount of dross signifiganty, but still have more than I think I should.

I haven't installed the stringer down the center yet to put the bow in the slats, so I am sure they are moving around a little.

Thanks for your help and good words along the way too!

Bob

Do you happen to know your pierce and cut height? That can play a large role in keeping a good cut, and not losing cut at higher speeds.
    I pierce at .188 and cut at .06-.07, at least when the material doesn't warp on me
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

edit

-RedGreen show.

Looks like you are getting things pretty much lined out. Making me want to get pushing on my table. Keep up the great work.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Try the "Old Motorcycle" art on my support site. It's a CDR that will convert with the DXFtool. Cut it about 18" long or bigger.

Check www.FourhillsDesigns.com and see other decorative plasma cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Try the "Old Motorcycle" art on my support site. It's a CDR that will convert with the DXFtool. Cut it about 18" long or bigger.

Check www.FourhillsDesigns.com and see other decorative plasma cuts.
    Tom, if by your support site you are refering to the Yahoo group, I signed up this morning. I hope you let me in, I'm a really good guy!

There is also a Torchmate user's group on Yahoo if you have not yet signed up. As far as cut speeds are concerned we will recommend about 50-60% of the plasma cutters maximum cutting speed, and that's just a start point.

We will typically run what we call a line speed test for a certain material, which is basically making a series of small 2-3" line cuts at different speeds ranging from 130 ipm to 30 ipm at increments of 10 ipm, in order to determine what speed gives us the best cut quality, curf width, and dross. I can email you the g-code file for ours if you'd like.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Thanks Mike, I would appreciate that email! I did sign up for the Torchmate user group shortly after ordering my machine. Good stuff there.

Jon wound up sending me a new computer, and everything is working perfectly. I forgot to bring the discs and papers for the old one today, but will be shipping the old one back tomorrow.

One quick question on the THC...... after is pierces, it adjust up and down for about 1"-2" of the cut length before settling in on a steady heigth. Is this normal? I does seem to affect the cut somewhat, not bad, but you can tell where is it was moving after the cut is complete.

A couple things to check on the THC, make sure that you are grounding to the material and not to the table, and also check your pierce timing so that it pierces and immediately starts moving the machine. Sometimes if the delay is too long it will pierce, and sit in position causing some erratic readings and will then start to adjust according to those readings before it gets more into the cut.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST