587,999 active members*
1,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC shop layout?

My boss has ordered a VMC and CNC lathe, due to show up in 6 weeks. I get to figure out where to put them.

So far Im thinking no closer than 36" to any wall. at least 48" on both sides of the mill, at least 48" on the spindle side of the lathe. Other than that, Im out of ideas. We have a decent amount of space, but any floorspace taken up by these machines is less availible for other stuff.

So what have you hated about how a CNC shop was arranged?
    What have you liked?
    Any general advise?

Thanks for the help

My personal record was spitting aluminium chips 30 foot over a 6 foot wall in the direction of the tailstock. So if the enclosure does'nt stop that, you've got to keep that in mind.

Carel

Shop floor, work flow, and process layout might be considerations too - maybe others could post a quickie layout diagram - bet thats what you're looking for - I'd like to see the same for home/hobby - but that'd be a different thread!
    Great you have heaps of space - thats always a good position to be in. Guess what I've hated most is sharing the space with my wife's kilns, the vette, and washer/drier while her jeep stays outside! :cheers: jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Where to put them can be a pain, but once you accumulate enough of them, you just stick them where they will fit. Place them where you can expand if you need to, as in don't place them somewhere that will take up room that future machines could go into, and don't place them in places that will make bringing in more machines difficult. Also with the prices of copper going through the roof, closer to the power source could be a factor.

As for the walls, in the back, make sure the cabinet doors open and you have enough room to do any maintainance or repair comfortably. On the sides, chip conveyors can take up a bit of room and you will need enough room to get your prefered chip receptacle out easily.

As for the lathe and 48" from the wall, think barfeeder, or doing the unthinkable like turning down the end of a 12 or 20 foot bar, which you shouldn't be doing anyway without an enclosure or barfeeder.

My dad was a mechanical engineer that worked as a plant engineer for a major aircraft firm. They were always re-organizing the machine shop, moving tools, re-doing electrical, air, lighting, HVAC, etc to improve productivity for various lines as aircraft come and go.

Moving 100 ton punch presses were impressive, but it was done.

IMHO designing a shop to be 'updated' and 'moved' makes sense to change to accommodate work flow. So machines on movable bases, movable tables and work benches all make sense to me. Also, pull more electrical than you think you will EVER need. These days, pulling cable for TV, ethernet, phones, security system, etc, all makes sense. If you can get 3phase in the building, do it, even if you don't need it now.
    Dust collection is another 'infrastructure' to design for and make expandable. It can have noise associated, but I have seen designs that has a cyclone outside, but the 'exhaust' and final filtering is done inside (with a muffler too!) so the conditioned air is not exhausted from the building. HVAC, is not cheap but required depending on your area. Insulation is a CHEAP way (relatively) to keep your untilities down and make life comfortable year round.

Paint/finish room is another consideration.

Just a few thoughts!

Don't forget to check electrical codes for required clearance for electrical box door swings etc.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Also don't forget that this thread is 2.5 years old and I'd bet he has them in place already.

Matt

Actually I am thinking about a shop, and trying to figure out what to do as well. I do hope fivetenben does have a shop by now, but it can help me too.