588,215 active members*
4,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Sorry about the coolant

Sorry to have to start yet another @#%* thread about flood coolant, but my current choice of coolant is killing me, I got this stuff from Napa because we use it at work in the bandsaw and it always worked well. But in the Tormach after 3-4 hours of heavy cutting the fumes from the stuff is burning my eyeballs out of my head. And it leaves a thick yellow coating all over the machine when it dries. It turns white like milk when mixed with water.

So I want that cool looking clear stuff you see all over YouTube, is the "Premier 600 Synthetic Coolant" sold by Tormach clear when mixed with water? Do the fumes try to kill you? And does it stain everything? If so then what else is good? I saw a Mazak video and they were using this neat looking light greenish tinted coolant. From what I read it appears that a 20:1 ratio of Premier 600 would be about right?
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

I use Koolmist #77 - works great for me. 4oz. to a gallon of water. Has a light blue color, no odor. I have cut aluminum, steel ,stainless and acrylic - worked for all of them.

Jeff E.

Coolant

I too am using the coolant from NAPA, but I am not having the burining eyes issues at all. I just bought 2 more galons of it. It does leave a film but it's easily cleaned using the coolant itself. We use the blueish tint stuff at work, want to say it's S-122 something. My buddy uses something just like the NAPA stuff in his Mori's, looks the same smells the same, 5 gallon bucket is like $125.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E. View Post
    I use Koolmist #77 - works great for me. 4oz. to a gallon of water. Has a light blue color, no odor. I have cut aluminum, steel ,stainless and acrylic - worked for all of them.

Jeff E.
    +1

I find it works well for me. No fumes, it doesnt go off and smell. Its nearly clear and doesnt have any nastly chemicals in it from what I can tell. Overall very happy with it.

David

From what I read Koolmist #77 is for those spray mist things, are you using it as a flood coolant?
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    From what I read Koolmist #77 is for those spray mist things, are you using it as a flood coolant?
    Yes - It can be used for flood coolant applications as well.

Jeff

I've been happy with Blasocut 4000 for a couple of years. It will foam a bit if I forget to pay attention to the concentratIon, but get it back to the correct level and it's fine.

I also use it in my surface grinder.

Recommended from other members here on the forum, I'm 110% happy with my hangsterfers coolant. I bought the 777 because I'm mainly machining aluminum. I haven't noticed the yellow staining with this brand like the liquid ice stuff I was using. I wouldn't say it's clear, but very visible, however I think my concentration might be a little to high.

my 2 cents

+1 on the Hangsterfers coolant, I use the S-506 CF

hangsterfer's s500 here and am completely happy with it. no bad smells, no rust on the machine and no paint peeling off like i hear some other coolants cause.

I may be a bit more sensitive to chemicals than others but I originally started with Hangsterfers S-506 CF and something in it bothered me. Just felt 'off' when exposed to it. The cool mist stuff doesnt bother me at all.

David

I have used nothing but Rustlick ws 5050 for the past 20 years. Never had any one in the shop complain.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E. View Post
    I use Koolmist #77 - Has a light blue color.

Jeff E.
    Looks like the opinions are fairly even between a choice of two, the color of the coolant is of interest to me, I see that the Koolmist is Blue in it's bottle, does it stay Blue when mixed with water? If so then I think it's a go (My business name is BlueFin after all) Also it looks like a 20:1 would be about right for general purpose use, since I have a 10 gallon tank then a one gallon container would give me two tanks which ends up being not bad on price.

Thanks to all who replied.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Yes it does stay blue

Jeff E.

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    hangsterfer's s500 here and am completely happy with it. no bad smells, no rust on the machine and no paint peeling off like i hear some other coolants cause.
    I'm another happy S500 user, mostly on aluminum and acrylic.

Mike

Out of curiosity, why is the color of the coolant important? I'm sure you have to have a good reason, but I can't imagine what it is.

because it looks cool, I'm thinking about dying mine red....

Quote Originally Posted by plasmator View Post
    Out of curiosity, why is the color of the coolant important? I'm sure you have to have a good reason, but I can't imagine what it is.
    When it's a serious hobby, it's a serious hobby the coolness of the coolant is an important thing. From a utility standpoint I have had staining issues from the heavy obvious color of the coolant that I have been using. I figure that a light color coolant would have less issues. What I would really like is coolant that looks like Windex window cleaner. But I think I found a video on YouTube that showed Koolmist 77 to be a milky blue color. I think I am going to give it a try so I will post an update here when I get a chance.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Coolant

Check the barrel at work, we use this in our Bridgeport VR1000 CNC mill, POWR-Cut HD, it's blue, stays bule and is resistant to bacteria growth. It's a synthetic.
    http://www.pcchemical.com/coolants.htm
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Talking coolant

TRIM E206.

Blue-green color for the friends that want to go green

Excellent results and prevents corrosion in the fluid "pan"

Yesterday I cleaned the table and the pan with the coolant hose. Took a quick coolant shower when the *%&ing nozzle came off - so far no damage on skin or clothing.

Benji

Page 1 of 2 12