588,201 active members*
5,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D Image Creation

Well I am fed up with all Backplot / Verification tools, either they want way too much money or they just are not reliable.

So I have decided to make my own. I have got all the basics created already. Where I am lost is "How do I draw a 3D image that would have the lines of the tool paths?" In other words, I have created a text / GCode editor, upon which I am going to parse for all the X, Y, and Z points in the editor, from which I want to draw a line between each of them to create the 3D Image. To complicate it I want to be able to rotate and zoom in on the image, and then even select various "Lines" or minimally the "Points" on the 3D image that would then highlight the specific line in the text editior portion.

I have been using VB.net 2010. Some places said to use XNA4.0 but then I have to have a much fancier video card. So what is the best thing to use to be backwards compatible to minimally XP and any hardware that MasterCam or SurfCam would work on? DirecX, or or is there something else that would do this.
    Motion Master 5 Axis Router.......Fagor 8055/C.......Surfcam Velocity 4.0 B189

Search for JASON TITCOMB on the web. He is author of a home made Backplotter & his creation is really nice.

Also he has posted the source code on CODEPROJECT.COM website..

...I don't remember the name of his company..Sorry for that.

Thanks