587,089 active members*
3,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Linear Slide

Linear Slide

I'm evaluating options and in the early stage but some general direction would be helpful.

My longest axis will span approximately 10 ft and require 3 to four rails. I went to local metal supply place and bought some sample stock and priced some rail material.

t6-6061 1x3/4 inch went for about $4.40 per foot. I figured with a bit of effort and heavy router table and Jig I could create a rounded I beam type profile then machine or cast some blocks. Based on the material I bought I could make about 6 blocks for material costs of $40. Haven't figured out the bearings yet but this would put my cost at about $500.

So the question would be feasibility and would the materials be adequate for a 4x8 working area 3 pt support and gantry weight of say 100 to 200 pounds and moderately fast speeds. Wild guess 60 to 100 IPM

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    I'm evaluating options and in the early stage but some general direction would be helpful.

I am working on my first table also about 3'x4' Good luck and when your stuck keep at it its worth the FUN! and do make sure it stays fun not work.

My longest axis will span approximately 10 ft and require 3 to four rails. I went to local metal supply place and bought some sample stock and priced some rail material.

Nice size you got there Four rails??? well maybe you can download googles sketch it and mock something up so we can check what your thinking and learn from it too!

t6-6061 1x3/4 inch went for about $4.40 per foot. I figured with a bit of effort and heavy router table and Jig I could create a rounded I beam type profile then machine or cast some blocks. Based on the material I bought I could make about 6 blocks for material costs of $40. Haven't figured out the bearings yet but this would put my cost at about $500.

So the question would be feasibility and would the materials be adequate for a 4x8 working area 3 pt support and gantry weight of say 100 to 200 pounds and moderately fast speeds. Wild guess 60 to 100 IPM

Thanks.

I am working on my first table also about 3'x4' Good luck and when your stuck keep at it its worth the FUN! and do make sure it stays fun not work.

check many forums hear there are a lot of bearing options I have seen and I may try some other type on my second smaller table (for aluminum working)

at sizes like yours or mine I suggest steel framing and aluminum all around use no wood or plastic in the creation of this. I will try to get some more links for you but one thing is the mechmate machine build http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/329/646.html

I think that would be a good build solution adapted to your likings.
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%

Thanks,

I'll take a look. I've clicked to site recently but as I remember the slides and drive system are underframe or otherwise encased. The forum probably has more detail. Trying to make it rock solid. Yes, the snags are half the fun. Best of luck. I'm posting a base concept shortly which may be useful.

James

Coogr,

Downloaded solid works a while back seemed pretty sweet. Just viewing. I have had Rhino for about 8 years and am a bit rusty. Will Rhino translate in some fashion to solidworks? Anyone?

Well my garage is cold in Texas but imagine Washington is downright chilly. Lived in Mass for a while still haven't acclimated.

Slide Profile and Pillow Block simplified machining

Redesigned profile for a simple router bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slide profile.jpg