587,661 active members*
3,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Problems with Offset surface

Problems with Offset surface

Hi
    I'm having trouble trying to generate an 0.1875 offset surface on this drawing, it keeps generating the surface wrong. Does anybody have any Ideas on how to work around this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

There were 2 problems surfaces that didn't want to offset correctly.

I used Utilities > Stitching > Unstitch Surface from Solid to separate these 2 surfaces from the main solid.

Then offset those 2 separately and then offset the main surface.

Then used Utilities > Stitching > Stitch Surfaces to Solid to join them into one solid.

Had to really increase the display shading quality for it to look smooth. But the mesh looks smooth.

The offset surface is on layer "new offset"

I guessed at which side you wanted it offset to. Is it OK?

Good luck
    moldmker
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks moldmker
    That was what I was trying to do. I was trying something like what you did but I wasn't having any luck, I just keeped getting the screwed up lines and surface's. Wish Bobcad could do something with the way equidistant offset & Z level Finish generates the tool paths. In order to machine this surface using the Equidistant offset I have to create this offset then tell it I'm using a 0.001 dia tool other wise it will machine down the sides of this surface.
    I would rather use the Z level Finish but I can't get it to work on this surface. anyways Thanks again for the help

This is how I contain machining areas.

Pick the whole model, not just your fillet area, then pick a boundary to confine the machining area.
    By picking the whole model, it reduces the chance of violating an adjacent surface if your boundary isn't exactly right.

It usually takes some thinking to figure exactly how the boundary has to be, but it's usually a simple geometric solution (sometimes trial and error).

I went back to your original model and Extracted Edges. Then projected them up to a temporary Z surface.
    To allow the cutter to get all the way down to tangent point, the outer edge needs offset out.
    The offset distance is usually just slightly less then the cutter rad. If there is draft on the side wall, then you may need to decrease the offset.

Sometimes, just setting the Extents to 3D Extents will work, but not in this case.

moldmker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RADIUS MACHINE.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	65039

The type of move your trying to do was simple in V21 using the 3D menu skin. I wish the could add that feature back in V22. you could do some 3D move and have more controll over the path in V21 with that option. As it did follow the contour and you chose the step down and tool size/raduis