588,518 active members*
6,958 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Cupola

Cupola

Just a quick question for thoes in the know. My current cupola is a small 7in diameter with the tynes located 7in from the base, works great and all, but im currently building a 15in diameter model and was curious if the tynes should be placed 15in from the base awell? im worried about the iron loosing to much heat and freezing up inside.

Simply put, is there a simple formula for figuring this out? Im not going to bother bying a book from a site, so please dont reference any, i was just wondering if anyone knew or could help me out.

Also for thoes of you who havent build a cupola because you were worried about the coal/charcoal situation, contact a firewood supplier as they sometimes make charcoal from the off cuts, or a steamtrain opperator as they buy in bulk and usaly dont bother you taking a tralior load for afew slabs.

You need to get a copy of "Iron Melting Cupola Furnaces for the Small Foundry" by Steve Chastain ISBN 0-9702203-0-8.

He goes into great detail showing how to calculate the dimensions for various diameters and melting rates, and covers both the theoretical calculations and the practical aspects.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Cant be bothered to open the book. hth
    Keith

oh well, looks like im going to have to calculate the thermodynamics myself, thanks anyway for replying.