588,665 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5 axis machining

Hello everyone, I recently got a full time job programming a Haas VF2 in an Argentine factory. I am a Mechanical Engineering student, and there is nobody around in the shop to help me in CAM programming matters. So far I have done mostly 3 axis milling using Delcam for SolidWorks and FeatureCAM, and only one 4 axis work, that had to be programmed manually, since I am also new to CAM.
    The thing is the machine has a TRT 160 rotary table, and it is installed in such a way that the A axis rotates around the Y axis. As you can imagine this creates great limitation regarding Y axis movement when using the rotary table.
    I would like to know if anyone has programmed 5 sided machining parts or simultaneous 5 axis with this configuration, and if you could give me some tips to change a .cnc post processor file configured for a regular trunnion aligned with the X axis.
    I personally think the easy way would be to install the rotary table the "right" way, but the shop already has many parts it manufactures on a daily basis that need a large vise or plate, so I don't think that suggestion would be well received by the owner and the operators.
    I will provide photos and post files soon, thanks in advance for the help.
    Greetings.
    Luis

Sorry I can't help answer your real question, but one correction to what you said. If the axis revolves about the Y, it is a B axis. It doesn't matter if it is the first rotary axis. By definition, A revolves around the X, B around the Y, and C around the Z. Sounds like you need to make a post for XYZB, especially if you currently have one for XYZA now.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Sorry I can't help answer your real question, but one correction to what you said. If the axis revolves about the Y, it is a B axis. It doesn't matter if it is the first rotary axis. By definition, A revolves around the X, B around the Y, and C around the Z. Sounds like you need to make a post for XYZB, especially if you currently have one for XYZA now.
    Thank you very much for your quick answer mcphil, this is very helpful. I will try to change that post and tell you how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by CUTCNC View Post
    We offer six axis CNC machining center, can be used to drilling on watchband
    yeah and it can be used as a boat anchor( and probly better suited for it) as well but thats not the question the guy had, so take your boat anchor and go anchor it in someones elses back yard and leave the real machines to the big boy's

Delw

Did I miss something? Was a post removed?

Some 5-axis / 5-sided basics at this website

Hi Luis,
    I don't have an answer to your specific question, but 5-Axis CNC Machining & Milling has lots of educational information about 5-axis and 5-sided machining. Hope it's helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Did I miss something? Was a post removed?
    Yes, see the quoted text. Spam was removed.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks