I have the Haas GT-10 chucker lathe that is designed to make small parts. I make a lot of parts that certainly qualify and the lathe does a nice job making them. My problem is finding the parts after I’ve run through a 36” bar of ½” 6061. A common example was yesterdays exercise. A top hat shaped part .215 long with an OD of .4 at one end stepping down to .165 at the other and a .110 hole drilled through it. The little tightly wound spring that the cut off OP generated comes off bigger than the part itself.

So --- I need suggestions on somehow separating the parts from the rest and keeping them in one location. I made a basket that fits under the spindle but fewer than 20% ended up in it. Most of them dropped to the ledge under the turret nicely comingled with the swarf.

I have dreamed up various devices that would work much like my Royal cutoff/bar puller, coming into the side of the part while it is still barely hanging onto the protruding bar stock and breaking it off but the next problem is getting it off the “part grabber” for a better term and depositing it into some type of container.

I was hoping some of you may have had similar problems and have come up with the silver bullet without getting a patent of it.

Vern