587,283 active members*
5,197 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Crashed my lathe, now tool is above center

Crashed my lathe, now tool is above center

I crashed the turret into the spindle (Don't ask). Now the tool is above center. How do I get to the taper pins or whatever locks the turret in position? It's an Ikegai FT20U. There are 4 plugs around the turret that look like access holes.

not sure on that particular machine, but on our machines you
    pull them out with a slide hammer, indicate the turret back in
    ream the holes lightly by hand, then replace.
    i havn't had to do this for 8 years thank goodness.

Your turret rotated a little .If your lathe does not have turret pins in it.There is 6 to 8 bolts that hold the turret disc on losen them and indicate the turret back in .
    If this does have turret pins in it .Take the turret disk off
    take the taper pins out there bent file down the burs on the holes the pins were in. Put the turret disc back on make sure you but it back in the same place
    so the tool numbers are right. Then put a boring bar holder in it an indicate it in and tighten the turret bolts . Now this will cause some disagreement i sugest leave the pins OUT
    I my opinon the pins don't help much to keep the turret from rotating . But when there crashed the pins are bent and the holes there in are all messed up. Alot of lathes are shipped without the pins because they are problems after a crash. I have never known of a turret to rotate during cutting without the pins the 8 bolts that hold the turret on will do the job. Also its alot easyer
    to aline a turret without pins after a crash .
    If you want to but them back in you must get two new taper pins and the holes must be re reamed with a reamer that maches the taper pins do this after the turret is alined .
    Tim

I have removed thoose pins years ago, they only makes alot of probs.. My turret doesnt move during operation, so go with the post above....

How do you get to the bolts? The turret has a large nut in the center. I removed that nut and pulled out the key. The turret seems to be pressed onto the shaft or just stuck. I didn't get much time to try and get it off and I didn't know if it had to come off or not. I can see what looks like some pins thru those 4 plugs I was talking about, but they don't look like the index into the turret when it clamps. Maybe somebody already took them out and replaced them with shorter pins. Any suggestions?

I worked for a company that had a lot of inexperienced personell, they
    crashed a lot.
    We ran a couple of machines with the taper pins removed while waiting
    on shipping. no problems.
    do you have a digital camera? a pic would be sweeeeeet.

BE NICE!!!!!
    da riverrat

I'll post a pic when I get home tomorrow.

There usually are a circle of bolts on a big pitch dia, loosen those and thighten one or two a bit, then you can adjust the turret against the "locking gear".. ( Just reposition the turret with a plastic hammer and thighten the bolts, without the taper pins the turret prob. moves a bit while thightening the bolts,just compensate for this while adjusting it) Never heard of loosing the centerbolt unless the turret are to be removed.

Here's a link to my myspace album. I left the puller on there so maybe if it was under constant pressure it would pop loose during the night or something.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=476692