588,508 active members*
4,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Real stumper

Page 1 of 2 12

Real stumper

We have a brand new vertical CNC with an Oi-MC control. We had a workpiece set in G54 with a Z0.7940" work offset. We had to do another quick production job of 20 or so parts. So using G55 the work offset was Z1.0132". The first part ran without any problem, but when we put a new piece of material in and started the program the first tool crashed. Put a new drill in, started again. First piece no problem, second piece tool crashed. When we started to investigate we found it went .2192" deeper when it rapided in the Z axis. So with a reference height of only .100" above the work it was doing a rapid movement .1192" into the top of the workpiece. We relized that the .2192" was the exact difference between the G55 work offset and G54 work offset. Since the machine is brand new and under warranty, we have had a FANUC tech. here for three days and he's stumped too. What we did find out was that it would not happen if you used single block or pressed feed hold before the first negative Z axis movement or if the first tool of the program was already in the spindle. We tried many different work offsets for G54 and G55, if G54 was a bigger number than G55 then the tool would stay up and if G54 was smaller it would come down to far. The amount was always the difference between the two offsets. This will only happen on the first tool in the program, the 2nd and 3rd would go to the proper depth. We have tried numerous ladder diagrams and different edits of these ladders from machines that work fine and have compared the parameters to many working machines. I've checked all I have also contacted the MTB and they are baffled also. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this or have any suggestion what to try to fix it.

work offsets

Try using G55 and G56 I have seen some machines have a problem using G54 because it is the default value when the machine comes up so I make it a habit not to use G54 I cant explaine why but I have seen simalar things like it before

Good Luck

Ben,

I dont know, but you have put G55 in the start of te program. Some G-Codes are reset if you press reset key. You need cusomize your machine to this G-Codes don[t can be reset press reset key

Daniel

Why not post your program here so we can peruse it?

I sold "a particular brand" of cnc controls for a good 10 years.

I would waist my time, trying to fix a customers machine, and after several calls, the manufacture would admit, “some people have that problem, just upgrade the software”. I would always comeback with “right! You mean everyone has that problem, just some people found it, right?”……..no answer!

You better believe that’s true! It would piss me off because I’m trying to fix their controls, and the manufacture wouldn’t even be up front with me, and tell me there was a problem! Only one time they recalled a software version, because it was so bad, it was wrecking machines! In my heart, i believe their policy is: If we admit we have a problem, it opens us up for a law suit! but I can't prove that.

I solved my problems by always loading in an older version of software, in the customers machines, that I knew didn’t have problems!

Some versions didn’t last a week! STRIKE THAT, some versions didn’t last 3 days!

BTW, it’s not that brand of control that you have, and I’m not naming any names, I don’t rep them anymore, and as with computers, things change so fast, today one brand can be the best, and tomorrow it could be the worst, and next week, back to the best.

I’m not saying that’s your problem, its just a thought.

Even though your probably a nice guy, I think you have to get tuff and say: If you don't get this machine fixed, get it out of here! Everyone has problems, even my friend, who bought a new mill for $200,000.00 to cut areospace parts, it took 10 service calls (i wasn't involved in that) to get it running right, but oh what a sweet machine after they got it fixed!

I would also check the tool change macro, if it exist. Usually for tool change it is necessary to change to G53, then return back to previously used coordinate system.

Heres my 2 cents .I bought a new sharp mini mill with a o-i mc control . When the machine does a tool change it switchs to G91 mode and it stays in that mode unless you write it in the next line of code.It stumped me for a while . At the end of the tool change program i put in a G90 and a G49.
    Tim

Here is the program that we are running to try and figure this problem out. Some things to note are the problem will occur even if reset has not been pressed since power up; even if the G54 work offset is not set (Z=0.0000") it will still cause the problem; tool change macro is not used in this machine, it is written directly into the ladder; we have changed the software to older editions from older Oi-MC controls that we know work and lastly only the first tool is affected the 2nd and 3rd will run at the proper set height.
    %
    O0100
    (PROGRAM NAME - TAP-1-4 )
    (DATE=DD-MM-YY - 14-08-08 TIME=HH:MM - 07:47 )
    G20
    G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90
    ( TOOL - 1 DIA. OFF. - 1 LEN. - 1 DIA. - .201 )
    ( DRILL HOLES )
    T1
    G91 G28 Z0
    M6 T5
    G0 G90 G55 X.5 Y-.312 S850 M3
    G43 H1 Z2. M8
    G08 P1
    G98 G73 Z-.74 R.02 Q.125 F3.4
    X2.
    G80
    M5
    G08 P0
    G91 G28 Z0. M9
    / G28 X0. Y0.
    M01
    ( TOOL - 5 DIA. OFF. - 5 LEN. - 5 DIA. - .5 )
    ( SPOT DRILL HOLES )
    G91 G28 Z0
    M6 T4
    G0 G90 G55 X.5 Y-.312 S1600 M3
    G43 H5 Z2. M8
    G08 P1
    G98 G73 Z-.13 R.02 Q.075 F2.
    X2.
    G80
    M5
    G08 P0
    G91 G28 Z0. M9
    / G28 X0. Y0.
    M01
    ( TOOL - 4 DIA. OFF. - 4 LEN. - 4 DIA. - .25 )
    G91 G28 Z0
    M6 T1
    G0 G90 G55 X.5 Y-.312 S400 M3
    G43 H4 Z2. M8
    G08 P1
    G98 G84 Z-.75 R.3 F20.
    X2.
    G80
    M5
    G08 P0
    G91 G28 Z0. M9
    G28 Y0.
    M30
    %

Thanks for the input and suggestions so far guys.

I have no answers but one question. How come the T# doesn't match the H# or at least be a predictable # (like T1 would be H51, adding 50 to all H offsets). I realize this is not the problem. Just curious.

The only thing I see is there's a G49 before the 1st tool, and not before the 2nd and 3rd tools. Try taking it out altogether.

Do you touch your tool ALWAYS in G54? or G55? If some of your tools are touched off the G54 fixture and some in the G55 fixture, and you are in G54 by default when the machine turns on, something's bound to go wrong. Always touch off on the same thing in the machine, and in the same Coordinate system... rambling on....
    Not too coherent, but how are the tools touched off?

Sorry, that was an edited version of the program which was missing the proper tool changes. Beege, tool heights were set off the top of the vise for G54 & G55. It is the work offsets that are different. I'll try taking the G49 out.

The G49 where you have it SHOULDN'T be the problem. It's good programming to cancel all height offsets at the beginning of every operation, to reduce the chance of errors when starting from the middle of the program.

What I meant to ask, is are you sure the tools are being touched off while the control has G54 active, or do you change it to make G55 active? Do you check to see what's active before touching tools off?

When you say "tool heights were set off the top of the vise for G54 & G55", do you mean some were touched off the G55 vise, and some the G54 vise? Consistency is the key. Always touch off the same place on all of your tools, regardless of the coordinate systems n which they are going to be used.

We are using the same vice for G54 and G55, but the problem isn't where the tools are touched off. When FANUC was running the program to try and figure the problem out we just used nominal heights for all the tool offsets (-10.0000) and ran the program in the air. If the program was ran in single block then it would run fine. If the program was run without interuption then for the first tool it would either stay up or go down the difference between the G54 and G55 Z work offset. For example if G54 work offset was Z 1.0000" and the G55 was Z 0.7500" then the first tool would stay up 0.2500".

Isn't a G49 needed at the end of each tool? That's what strikes me.

Smile

I would add a G53 H0 after G28 G91 Z0 (to send the tool home in Z) to see if this makes a difference. If not, delete it.

Try putting M6 on its own line alone... and calling the next T# on a later line
    The confusion is that the current toolchange line has the NEXT tool# in it.
    His H# does match his T#
    Its confusing to read and may be confusing the mc control also???
    At least try the above to see if this helps

We have tried numerous variation of the tool change call including the method you have suggested. We also have another machine same machine model and same Oi-MC control and the same program runs fine on it. The only difference is that the other machine is older with a different ladder edition, but we have tried that edition on the new machine without any positive results. Taking out the G49 command did not help, and I will try the G53 H0 suggestion when I have a chance. Won't be today but I will keep updating everyone. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Keep them coming and I'll let you know what happens.

It might be useful to discover whether the entire 'first tool' operation runs at the old work offset, or if only the first Z move of the operation is stuck on the old work offset.

For example use a rapid height of Z1.0 above the part, then a plunge move to Z0.1 and watch the position registers to see if and when the workshift compensation is applied.

Any chance that something is being written to the G52 register?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have run a vmc with 0i control as recently as last week. G49 on the safety line is fine. Also, G49 at the end of every tool is required. But there is the concern about calling the next tool on a line by itself without M6 before calling the M6. I would not do that. Some of the older Yasnac controls permitted calling just the T[X] by itself on a line in order to advace the tool carousel so that the tool next in the program was placed next for exchange (because the carousel is so slow). Would only do that after the T[X] (current tool) M6 line.

Page 1 of 2 12