587,747 active members*
2,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tiredness Danger

My customer has been screaming for components for the last two weeks so I've been pushing it pretty hard- 12 hour shifts Mon to Sat and 1/2 day Sunday (lunch at machine). Today I started the spindle while still gripping it with my left hand (I was watching the coolant on the tool)- I was lucky to get off with a severely staved finger and ripped open at the tip as the chuck ramped up to 6000 RPM.

I'm normaly so safety conscious it's unreal, I never wear jewelry or watches, never have long sleeves, use a hand held face guard, have short hair etc etc. I was more shocked than anything really.

Just thought I'd mention it- It makes me cold to think what could have happened if it caught a glove, watch or lab-coat sleeve.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I'm glad you only got a serious warning! tiredness or rushing or both, the customer's not worth loosing a hand over

And the silly part about it is that many times the ones who do wear rings, long hair, loose clothes and all that seem to bear charmed lives. I trust you are reading this tomorrow after a good rest.

Hi All
    I worked for the UK MOD doing R&D during the first Gulf War. There was so much work to be done and everything was needed yesterday, that initially people were working 16-18 hour days 7 days a week, however it very quickly became obvious that this was unsafe. Where I worked limits were then put in place which was if I remember rightly, a maximum of 14 hours in one shift, a minimum of 8 hours between shifts, and at least one period of 24 hours off work every 7 days. Even these hours were very tiring and in reality probably still unsafe, but as far as the MOD was concerned the work had to be done, a lot of rules were bent during that period.

The bottom line is that no amount of money, work, customer pressure is worth your fingers, or worse. You would not drive a car If you were nodding off, don’t operate machinery if you are feeling dopey.

I trust you are reading this tomorrow after a good rest
    lol nope, taped it up with electrical tape to my third finger and taped some tissue over the end and carried on machining. I can't even stop for a ciggy lol.
    And I'm working over Xmas *sniff* no turkey n stuff for me
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I always tell the guys I work with that no matter how much the customer wants the product "Yesterday"; They are not going to be happy if we ship them a coil with blood all over it or with an impression of "Bob" wrapped up in it.
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

'body parts'
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Im glad you were not too badly hurt.

I take it you are working with a machine without an enclosure, or the safety lock has been disabled because the machines we work with will not operate with the machine doors open. (This was after we got an inspection) I've also had some near misses in the past, and i keep those locks active at all costs even when some of my co-workers bypass them in the machine parameters so they can work faster. They are there for good reason, not to prevent you getting sprayed with coolant when you stick your head trough the door!

I am glad you got away with just an unfriendly reminder, next time watch yourself. We also have to push things working overtime, and it's unsafe. Even if you look to your own safety well, things can happen and mistakes are easily made when you are tired.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    My customer has been screaming for components for the last two weeks so I've been pushing it pretty hard- 12 hour shifts Mon to Sat and 1/2 day Sunday (lunch at machine). Today I started the spindle while still gripping it with my left hand (I was watching the coolant on the tool)- I was lucky to get off with a severely staved finger and ripped open at the tip as the chuck ramped up to 6000 RPM.

I'm normaly so safety conscious it's unreal, I never wear jewelry or watches, never have long sleeves, use a hand held face guard, have short hair etc etc. I was more shocked than anything really.

Just thought I'd mention it- It makes me cold to think what could have happened if it caught a glove, watch or lab-coat sleeve.
    No customer is worth a digit!
    A.J.L.