586,919 active members*
3,082 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Solid Edge Advantages/ Disadvantages

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post
    To start out I know nothing about CAD. I've tried Google Sketchup, didn't like it. Tried Gsimple, but didn't get very far. I recently downloaded Solid Edge 2D, haven't done much with it, but I have gotten farther with it than anything else. Seems like they have alot of tutorials and instructional DVDs that can be purchased. I have no problem with purchasing the DVDs if this is a good program to start with and eventually upgrade to 3D. I know that everybody has their favorite program and this one is better than that one. I really don't know which program to use, but I need something that is "easy" to learn. I do not have alot of patience when it comes to sitting down and learning. Especially if it takes longer to learn it than it would to do manually on the mill. Back to Solid Edge 2d, I don't know what problems I will run into down the road. I am going to use Mach 3, am I going to have problems when I try to convert a drawing into G code or something else that I don't know yet? Pretty much of everything that I will be doing is 2.5D (I guess that's what it's called) stuff. I know I can try everybody's demos, but I don't have alot of free time to go "shopping". I appreciate your guy's help and advice.
    Hi ranchak~
    If you'll allow me to comiserate - Sounds like I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I think we're on the right track. I haven't ordered a single part to build my CNC yet - I'm in the information gathering stage. From past experience I found that what will work best for me is to get the learning curves mastered (not so much fun) before I build the machine (fun). I don't want to build a nice machine only to find that I've made mistakes in my choices about how I'm going to run it. So my learning path will be: 1. Play with the software and learn its limits (or mine, ha!) 2. Learn about the electronics interfacing (drivers, power supply, etc.) 3. Apply what I've learned to making the actual machine.

I was on 'Build Your Own CNC Router' (Build Your Own CNC Router Machine) site recently. Patrick, (the CNC guru there) has experience with, and recommends Solid Edge 2D and Mach3 CAD/CAM software for an 'entry level budget'. (He prefers AutoCAD but I'm in no position to buy that) I've already downloaded Solid Edge 2D and was pleasantly surprised at how robust it is. It's important that whatever the CAD software brand, it needs to be able to convert/import .DXF files and also save .DXF files/revisions, which I believe are required in Mach3 to produce toolpaths. I haven't yet downloaded the Mach3 demo software, but I read that you can disable the printer drivers and work with it 'experimentally' to learn about how it works - sounds great to me! I also read that the Mach3 demo will limit output to 500 lines of G-code, so it's actually able to be used with your machine so you can evaluate it in real time.

CAMBAM also sounds like it holds promise - I simply haven't made up my mind yet about all this stuff and need to do more research before I spend my hard-earned money for licensing.

Back to SE2D...'Yes', there is a learning curve. 'No', learning curves are not the most fun thing to overcome, especially if you're feeling rushed. I do have some limited experience with other CAD software. I went through the included tutorials and like what I see and believe that it will work for me. I could easily go to the table and draw out plans for my guitars as I've done for many years but I'm trying to think of overcoming this learning curve as a worthwhile investment of my time. It's been said that anything worth having is worth working for...

I do feel 'better' about this after reading testimony from Patrick, who has used it successfully and speaks well of it.

I know that I'll be in for some frustrating moments solving problems while I learn how all this stuff works, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude - If other people can do this - SO CAN I! I know that I'm not alone. Everyone starts at ground zero and everyone has the same concerns as you do, so don't get all hung up on the little things. You can do this! Seimens has a newsgroup, user forum, and other tutorials.

You can also import other CNC .DXF files, for instance, "Download JGRO’s Design in DXF format" (CNCzone.com-Machinist Community Forums - Welcome Page - Welcome Page) to speed up learning.

IMHO, observing what others have done is a great way to learn. I downloaded the JGRO files and have been fooling around with them in SE2D. This is cool stuff!

I don't know if any of this helps you or not, but you have both my sympathies and my best wishes going forward with this. At least you know you're not alone in the boat! Ha!

Dale,
    Nielsen Custom Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by ddnielsen View Post
    Hi ranchak~
    If you'll allow me to comiserate - Sounds like I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I think we're on the right track. I haven't ordered a single part to build my CNC yet - I'm in the information gathering stage. From past experience I found that what will work best for me is to get the learning curves mastered (not so much fun) before I build the machine (fun). I don't want to build a nice machine only to find that I've made mistakes in my choices about how I'm going to run it. So my learning path will be: 1. Play with the software and learn its limits (or mine, ha!) 2. Learn about the electronics interfacing (drivers, power supply, etc.) 3. Apply what I've learned to making the actual machine.

I was on 'Build Your Own CNC Router' (Build Your Own CNC Router Machine) site recently. Patrick, (the CNC guru there) has experience with, and recommends Solid Edge 2D and Mach3 CAD/CAM software for an 'entry level budget'. (He prefers AutoCAD but I'm in no position to buy that) I've already downloaded Solid Edge 2D and was pleasantly surprised at how robust it is. It's important that whatever the CAD software brand, it needs to be able to convert/import .DXF files and also save .DXF files/revisions, which I believe are required in Mach3 to produce toolpaths. I haven't yet downloaded the Mach3 demo software, but I read that you can disable the printer drivers and work with it 'experimentally' to learn about how it works - sounds great to me! I also read that the Mach3 demo will limit output to 500 lines of G-code, so it's actually able to be used with your machine so you can evaluate it in real time.

CAMBAM also sounds like it holds promise - I simply haven't made up my mind yet about all this stuff and need to do more research before I spend my hard-earned money for licensing.

Back to SE2D...'Yes', there is a learning curve. 'No', learning curves are not the most fun thing to overcome, especially if you're feeling rushed. I do have some limited experience with other CAD software. I went through the included tutorials and like what I see and believe that it will work for me. I could easily go to the table and draw out plans for my guitars as I've done for many years but I'm trying to think of overcoming this learning curve as a worthwhile investment of my time. It's been said that anything worth having is worth working for...

I do feel 'better' about this after reading testimony from Patrick, who has used it successfully and speaks well of it.

I know that I'll be in for some frustrating moments solving problems while I learn how all this stuff works, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude - If other people can do this - SO CAN I! I know that I'm not alone. Everyone starts at ground zero and everyone has the same concerns as you do, so don't get all hung up on the little things. You can do this! Seimens has a newsgroup, user forum, and other tutorials.

You can also import other CNC .DXF files, for instance, "Download JGRO’s Design in DXF format" (CNCzone.com-Machinist Community Forums - Welcome Page - Welcome Page) to speed up learning.

IMHO, observing what others have done is a great way to learn. I downloaded the JGRO files and have been fooling around with them in SE2D. This is cool stuff!

I don't know if any of this helps you or not, but you have both my sympathies and my best wishes going forward with this. At least you know you're not alone in the boat! Ha!

Dale,
    Nielsen Custom Guitars
    Just browsing through.... Even though SolidEdge is a great CAD program, you're only going to have limited CAM capabilities using Mach3/LazyCAM. Defintely a dedicated CAM software will make toolpath creation and gcode way easier. A basic one like Cut2D would be great. MeshCAM and Cut3D are good for 3D parts, but you have limited control as to how the parts are machined. CamBam can do both, but the learning curve is steeper. Uf you want full control of how your parts are machined, it's going to cost a pretty penny!

Dale, I build a limited amount of custom guitars and parts, and have a CAD guy who turns my 2D drawing into 3D with SolidEdge, and the models are excellent. I've had no problems bringing the models into my CAM software...