587,645 active members*
3,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCam 4th axis project question

Question MasterCam 4th axis project question

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my machining strategy I used in MasterCam. The model I'm going to cut is called a "Last". It is a foot form for building a shoe. I support CAD/CAM tools for a very large athletic footwear company, getting this model was ease. I also did not want to bother the CAM engineers here at work with my stupid questions

Doing the finish cut in Mastercam was easy. I just found the Multiaxis menu and went with rotary4ax. The problem I am having is I don't see a multiaxis roughing routine.

What I did was to rough the part on the right side of the last and then on the left side of the last. I would just spin the 4th axis to 90 degrees and do one side then spin the axis to -90 and do the other side. I wanted to stop when the cutter got to the center axis, but Mastercam did not stop there. It went on down past center to the bottom of the material. What I did was to delete the tool path that was below the center axis for each side. See my pictures below.

Was this method acceptable or is there a much better way?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last-Model.jpg   Last-rough-R.jpg   Last-rough-L.jpg   Last-finish-4th.jpg  

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Is there a "bottom of job" parameter that you can set to limit the toolpath depth?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Homecnc, what path did you use for roughing?
    If you used Surfcae pocket or parriall this has option for depth that you can control how fare it can go and how far down to start.

If you want to send me your file I can set it and show you.
    I have a few seats of MC here ;-)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam
    Homecnc, what path did you use for roughing?
    If you used Surfcae pocket or parriall this has option for depth that you can control how fare it can go and how far down to start.
    I did use Sruface Rough Pocket. I did not see a depth stop command. Where would it be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surface-rough.jpg  
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

It's on the Rough Paramters page 3rd tab at the bottom called cut depths.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

so that's how the dutch make wooden shoes

That is funny
    Cadcam

I tried the Rough Parameters page for cut depths. I though that was to set the maximum cut depth for each pass, not the total depth of cut of the pocket. Anyway I tried to set the "Critical Depths" to 0 which is the center of the 4th axis. It still produced tool path going past the center of the axis. You can see from the right side of my picture. We are looking at the top view and the tool path passes center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cut-depth.jpg  
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Jeff, can you share your file with me?
    I will set it up and explane more to you.I know we can get this to work I just finished a project for a customer and showed the hole class how to do this two weeks ago.

I use Absolute on this instead of Incramental.
    If you want,mail the file, if you dont want to share it with the hole world.

Thanks Jay
    Cadcam

Boundry Surface's

It's been a while since I've programed with solids or surfaces in Mastercam. But from what I can remember - when you use a roughing routine you can select both driving surfaces and bounding surfaces. The bounding surfaces are what I used to keep the tool from going places I did'nt want it to go. There were other parameters to control how toolpath generated at surface/edges but I remember finding the boundry surface to be more usefull. I remember I often created plane surfaces at depths I wanted to stay above and put them on a layer called bounds or something. You can also use bounding geometry(you know those antiquated data objects called lines and arcs).

I haven't used anything after MCAM8 - I think after looking at your screen shots that what I am refering to as Boundry Surfaces might actually be called Check Surfaces...
    I see that you have none selected.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4063

I think this is how it works...
    Put a planer surface at the center axis of your shoe where you want to stop cutting - select it in the surface parameters page as a check/surface and then enter how far away you want to stay from it, this depending on what kind of roughing tool you are using.

MASTERCAM ROCKS! They taught me SmartCam where I went to school but as soon as I got out I tought myself Mastercam. There are alot of great books out there - check amazon.com or abe.com - theres alot of crap books out there to - so be decerning.

This is funny - I just sent a long email to you - @homecnc.info - and now I find I'm writing you again... What shoe company are you indebting with your skills?
    - is it the N word?

Wholepair we have Depth control in mastercam without hve to make the extra surfaces to control the depths.
    That way was a good way before V8 were you could use depth cuts to control this now.

But your way is still a good way thow.

What do you program with now?
    Cadcam

None

I haven't switched to another program. I would expect a sales rep and an instructor to think such things, I just don't work as a programer anymore. But, If I ever needed to write code again - I would turn to mastercam... I would rather use an old DOS version of mastercam then any recent CAM software I've seen.

I'm really interested in MastercamART... And am curious about Rhino...

Becuse you made the statment I used to do it this way in Mastercam is were I thought maybe you changed to another software this does happen to Machinist
    in this industry.

I would expect a sales rep and an instructor to think such things,
    Now I am not sure how to take this commnet.
    I program for companys and still even run machines some times on a weekly base.
    Yes I Sell and teach at our office and the local collage to.But this tells me to expect that I have clue in the Manufaturing industry. nothing else.
    Cadcam

Now I am not sure how to take this commnet.
    I program for companys and still even run machines some times on a weekly base.
    Yes I Sell and teach at our office and the local collage to.But this tells me to expect that I have clue in the Manufaturing industry. nothing else.
    base = basis
    collage = college
    My mother always told me that - "Sperring is Impellitive..."

This sentance really confuses me, "But this tells me to expect that I have clue in the Manufaturing industry."

I did'nt mean anything by my statement. I've probably upset you again with what I've already put in this post. I probably would have asked the same question. I like to think I get along with a wide range of people in the manufacturing realm; engineers, machinists, operators, programmers, assemblers, technicians, sales-reps, etc... But sometimes I do stick my foot in my mouth. My general belief is that every-one deserves respect. Knowing how to show respect is the skill I havent quite mastered. It was just an innocent statement about what I was thinking at the time. You sound like a busy guy, I hope you enjoy your holidays!!
    :stickpoke

You Know what I really to not right or Spell to well. So I take it with a grain of salt.
    I like to help poeple. some times I don't do as well writing on line as I do standing in front of a room of people.

All is good and if there is something you think I can help with just ask.
    I am going to have a great Holiday hope you do to.

PS Hope This one came out better.Also thanks for the poke.
    Cadcam

Ok, whatever. All I was trying to say was I am aware I don't always write and spell with the best of them and I am used to having people make comments about it but you obviously have so much time on your "educated" hands to go and look up the origin and meaning of statements I make and try to throw them back in my face and try to make me feel like an idiot or something. very nice. I was just trying to help so you have a nice evening.
    Cadcam

Your over-reacting!

See! I told you I stick my foot in my mouth sometimes. I guess some personalities just don't get along - I never wanted to make you feel like an idiot - and never said I thought your were stupid. I figure any one smart enough to used Mastercam was probably an OK person - and I like your website - http://www.ppcadcam.com - seem's like your pretty smart to me.

This is my last post on this thread - If I run into you(cadcam) again I hope we will get along better.

Jay's one of the sharpest and most helpful folks I know. I'd gladly trade spelling and grammar for his Mastercam skill and real knowledge of the industry.

Heck, I bet his spelling is better than some of our elected officials. Thinking of running for the govenator's job, Jay?

mishikwest
    a.k.a. Italian' Stylin'

Thinking of running for the govenator's job, Jay?
    LOL!!!

Heck, I bet his spelling is better than some of our elected officials.
    I really dought that but sure is a sad thoght if it were true.
    Cadcam