587,178 active members*
4,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DC Motor Speed Controller

I have a 90/180VDC permanent magnet motor that I want to run my lathe. This is the motor It draws 10A @ 90VDC and 5A @ 180VDC

Their are brand name controllers for $200+ and theirs chinese ones for $30. I don't have a ton of money but I also need a controller that will not burn out in a week. The largest jobs I do on my lathe is 2" round brass and the 1/4HP 120VAC motor handled it without thinking so I don't think I will be using anywhere near the 1HP power the DC motor is capable of.

Here is the same speed controller lots use as a replacement on the Saig x3's

Their are lots of cheaper ones that require you to provide the ~72VDC to the controller like this

Are their any <$100 options out there that will last me a long time? Also if their is one with a resistive breaking output that would be a double bonus.

Thanks!!

P.S - Needs to ship to Canada...

Quote Originally Posted by 2_many_hobbies View Post
    I have a 90/180VDC permanent magnet motor that I want to run my lathe. This is the motor It draws 10A @ 90VDC and 5A @ 180VDC

Their are brand name controllers for $200+ and theirs chinese ones for $30. I don't have a ton of money but I also need a controller that will not burn out in a week. The largest jobs I do on my lathe is 2" round brass and the 1/4HP 120VAC motor handled it without thinking so I don't think I will be using anywhere near the 1HP power the DC motor is capable of.

Here is the same speed controller lots use as a replacement on the Saig x3's

Their are lots of cheaper ones that require you to provide the ~72VDC to the controller like this

Are their any <$100 options out there that will last me a long time? Also if their is one with a resistive breaking output that would be a double bonus.

Thanks!!

P.S - Needs to ship to Canada...
    Whenever someone asks this question on CNCzone, someone else inevitably links to this:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...tname=electric

You can also get the KB/Baldor types on ebay, often cheaper.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I ended up getting a

KB ELECTRONICS KBMG-212D

Quite an awesome little drive. Regenerative breaking and all enclosed in under 4x4". I was going to use the Surplus Center one with a breaking resistor but this is much easier.

Anybody have any experience with these drives, anything I should know beforehand?

I have used the older larger 4 quadrant version, but essentially the same features, if using the ±10vdc input, you get bi-directional control without switching.
    The one you have is 4 quadrant also.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.