588,017 active members*
8,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Does anyone know the Z-axis pitch of a metric super X-1?

Does anyone know the Z-axis pitch of a metric super X-1?

Hi guys, I've just started using my CNC'ed Super X1-L in anger, and I've just noticed that my Z-axis movements are about 75% of what they should be!

The X and Y axis have a pitch of 2mm/revolution and I'd assumed that the Z would be the same, but it doesn't seem to be! I just dug out the handwheels to check what they said, and the Z-one is blank!

Does anyone know the actual pitch of a metric Super X1-L's Z-axis, or am I better off milling some slots and measuring their actual depth?

Cheers.

Much safer to measure the pitch directly. If the error is somewhere else in the system you wont necesaarily find it unless you turn the screw by hand. Do you have a DTI. Thread gauges are cheap or you can measure ten or twenty threads directly with a caliper.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by digits View Post
    Hi guys, I've just started using my CNC'ed Super X1-L in anger, and I've just noticed that my Z-axis movements are about 75% of what they should be!

The X and Y axis have a pitch of 2mm/revolution and I'd assumed that the Z would be the same, but it doesn't seem to be! I just dug out the handwheels to check what they said, and the Z-one is blank!

Does anyone know the actual pitch of a metric Super X1-L's Z-axis, or am I better off milling some slots and measuring their actual depth?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Much safer to measure the pitch directly. If the error is somewhere else in the system you wont necesaarily find it unless you turn the screw by hand. Do you have a DTI. Thread gauges are cheap or you can measure ten or twenty threads directly with a caliper.

Regards
    Phil

Thanks Phil - I measured 10 threads with a caliper and then remembered I had a thread gauge in my tapping set - D'oh. Anyway, my mill has a 1.5mm pitch Z-axis if that's of any use to anyone else.

I thought the thread pitch on the X and Y was 20tpi - of course I don't have the Super - just plain ol' vanilla X1.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
    I thought the thread pitch on the X and Y was 20tpi - of course I don't have the Super - just plain ol' vanilla X1.
    My mill's metric - X and Y seem to be 2mm pitch, the Z-axis seems to be just a cheap bit of M10 x1.5 threaded rod!

Hi there,

The metric x and y axes are definitely 2mm pitch - I've checked that.

As for the z-axis, I have no idea. I replaced my z-axis screw with a sturdier trapezoidal unit. If I remember correctly, you'll find that the standard z-axis screw is no standard threaded rod (it might still be cheap, though ). I seem to remember it being a left-handed thread. I have no idea why they did this...

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...