588,215 active members*
4,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

XZero CNC Z axis

8 inch Z axis , 3/4 inch aluminum , 8 inch travel .Mounting holes for for XZero router mounts and also K2 mount
    Also the bearing are the HGH20HA super heavy duty

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...863#post815863
    XZero cnc

What's the price on these?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

come with THK or Hiwin
    XZero cnc

Are you referring to the Z axis on the left or right side?
    How does the ball screw like being unsupported like that? I realize it is a small distance, but I can't imagine that it loves high rpm's

Z axis has no problem with one ended ballscrew at 900 IPM
    XZero cnc

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post

8 inch Z axis , 3/4 inch aluminum , 8 inch travel .Mounting holes for for XZero router mounts and also K2 mount
    Also the bearing are the HGH20HA super heavy duty

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...863#post815863
    dang! If i build another machine ill buy one from you. how much?

How do you keep the dust out of the ballscrew nut ? Cutting MDF would get in past the seal and stick on the grease (ballscrews need grease).

Nice machining .
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    How do you keep the dust out of the ballscrew nut ? Cutting MDF would get in past the seal and stick on the grease (ballscrews need grease).

Nice machining .
    Invest in a quality vacuum system that surrounds the bit.

Nice machining .
    Well just do steel and aluminum then , lol joking ,I see on your machine, you have kind of the same design as mine , but have acme screw , ? so why would dust affected these ones and not the same open screw that you have ?
    #1 don't over grease ballscrews or bearing , grease every 100km of use
    XZero cnc

Invest in a quality vacuum system that surrounds the bit.
    I guess you've never cut a lot of MDF. It goes everywhere, vacuum or not.

Well just do steel and aluminum then , lol joking ,I see on your machine, you have kind of the same design as mine , but have acme screw , ?
    Lol , No You have the same design as mine .

I use a Kerk delrin nut and stainless screw , I've used ball screws in the past but they are terrible in the dust. The eventually jam up with dust in the balls especially with stepper motors.

I guess you've never cut a lot of MDF. It goes everywhere, vacuum or not.

Lol , No You have the same design as mine .

I use a Kerk delrin nut and stainless screw , I've used ball screws in the past but they are terrible in the dust. The eventually jam up with dust in the balls especially with stepper motors.
    U need to get better wipers then for ballscrews ? I would never be using acme screws on my machines , people been cutting MDF and have no problem ,
    XZero cnc

Kerk delrin nut

Hi, I acquired a cnc frame and gantry made by Shop (S)Cam Routers Inc, and I believe Larken was the original designer. So maybe you (Larken) could help. This thread is what I have been looking for. This machine, which I have built the controller for and am trying to get set up to run flawlessly, has one of these Kerk delrin nuts on the z axis. The z axis gets stuck. Is it the nut or a motor setting? Do you know what settings should be entered in mach it uses a Vexta PK296-F4.5A stepper.

Any help would be appreciated

Mark

You must have been one of the lucky ones not to have been ripped off by that guy, Mr Snow.

I fixed a Shopcam machine for a guy in Richmond, Ont (in exchange for him painting my MX6 Mazda) and there was also a problem with the Z axis.

In the bottom of the thrust bearing (at the bottom of the screw) he didn't leave enough clearance for the bolt and washer and it rubs on the aluminum block. You have to remove the screw assembly and drill out the bottom hole larger.
    The Kerk screw should work fine and is very good in dust. But the steppers on that machine are a poor choice since they are too low a current for speed. The X and Y steppers are dual stack 34's rated at 4.5 amps, they should be double that current to get good speed.

Larry K

Good thing Larry is there to help you,the XZero High Precision Z axis would not have that same kind of problems

XZero cnc

Shop (S)Cam

HA! No such luck. We got ripped by Mr. Snow. I wont go into details. In the end I have 2 frames, one is complete and the other has an old abused gantry, all the parts for the z axis motors included and I have a large assortment of parts. I will have to machine a few parts as I am missing some for this second machine.

Anyhow, I took a look at the bottom and I see what you mean. I am waiting for a BOB from PMDX so now is a good time to take it apart and drill that hole larger. I would have never figured that out. Thanks!

Did you own BigBlue? I think it is sitting in storage.

My drivers will only go up to 7A (gecko 203V) so I am not sure I can go any larger on the motors. new mounts would be needed, for now I can deal with a slower speed.

Thanks for your help Larry.

Mark A.

holy cow, what kind of instrument is that?

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    Good thing Larry is there to help you,the XZero High Precision Z axis would not have that same kind of problems

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA. View Post
    HA! No such luck. We got ripped by Mr. Snow. I wont go into details. In the end I have 2 frames, one is complete and the other has an old abused gantry, all the parts for the z axis motors included and I have a large assortment of parts. I will have to machine a few parts as I am missing some for this second machine.

Anyhow, I took a look at the bottom and I see what you mean. I am waiting for a BOB from PMDX so now is a good time to take it apart and drill that hole larger. I would have never figured that out. Thanks!

Did you own BigBlue? I think it is sitting in storage.

Thanks for your help Larry.
    Mark A.
    No, the big blue machine was build by my ex partner Marc, who also lost a lot of money. That Big machine is actually owned my an other member on this board (who will remain nameless) who lives close to Marmara.
    I'm just glad Shopcams website is gone.

The few machines he built are very good though. Very heavy and solid. It must weigh over 2200lbs. It probably should have servos. A bit too much mass and friction for steppers.

Ya I am happy he is done. too many people and millions of $ gone.. I am also happy that we have a machine again. I made a z Zero touch plate and the controller which seems to be working good. I just have to iron out some small things and I will be on my way with the machine, then I will get going on the second one.

My machine when cutting multiple circles, looses position(X axis) after cutting for a while, I guess this is because like you are saying, the gantry is so heavy and steppers are too small. If I slow the machine down do you think it would fix this problem. I might have to add a second stepper to the x axis so that it has more power, although I am no machinist. I do build organs for a living though.
    The machine is heavy duty but I am not sure how accurate it is yet.
    So did the guy in Marmara just recently buy big blue? It was in pieces the last time I saw it about 2-3 mnths ago.

Thanks
    MarK A.