588,241 active members*
4,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Flatness of ceramic seal

Flatness of ceramic seal

On the machine FADAL VMC 4020 has been a failure of the Drawbar and Coolant-thru system. I replace the drawbar and seal kit (Ceramik seal, Graphit seal). In the attached instructions say that it is necessary after installing of ceramic seal chek flatness of Ceramik seal face. When I checked the flattnes the surface of ceramic (as described in the instructions on http://websystem.multipoint.se/Multi...eal%20kits.pdf ), I saw that the surface sheath of 0.08mm. What flatness is still admissible, that the ceramic and graphite does not leak coolant? It is 0.08mm probably too much. How to reach a better flatness?

by adjusting the little allen screws on top of it to 0.0002 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by denmar View Post
    by adjusting the little allen screws on top of it to 0.0002 inch.

These are the four screws at the top, on retainer of ceramic seal? I tried, but there was no difference.

In reviewing the instructions, I would think what you have in that cap is a 'push-pull' adjustment. The through bolts have to be loosened slightly in order to tilt the cap by pushing with the small setscrews. It is kind of a balancing act, probably easier to accomplish with 2 or more dial indicators on the piece so you can see the effect of what you are adjusting.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Seal flatness

I have a lot of experience with the Fadal coolant seal problem and can share some valuable input. I can tell you that there is no good way to adjust the seal to make it run flat, I know guys that have even tried shimming the seals but that doesn't work because after you do a few tool changes your drawbar will not be in the same spot. The reason for this is because...

1. The drawbars are not guided on Fadals so they are able to wobble in the spindle, just a little bit, but enough to cause a problem.

2. The Spring Pilot, Knock out Cap, and Seal are not locked rotationally to the drawbar so if you grip the seal you can twist it on the drawbar quite easily. This is a problem because any out of flatness in any of the parts below the seal will tilt the seal surface when it is twisted.

3. The Spring Pilot, Knock out Cap, and Seal are held to the drawbar using two split keys and those keys will wear unevenly and cause the entire assembly above them to sit tilted.

I don't mean this to discourage you, but I have spent years working with Fadal's through spindle coolant system and I know what you are going through. That is why my company designed an entirely new through spindle coolant system just for Fadal machines that replaces all of those parts. Take a look at our website www.LightningCool.com

don't forget the carbon ring mounted on a spring floting plate!

Quote Originally Posted by denmar View Post
    don't forget the carbon ring mounted on a spring floting plate!
    This I did, of course!

there is a O ring top of draw bar, Inside locking assy, draw bar piston assy.

Hartan--
    If you are still having an issue with the original coolant thru the spindle system contact me and I send you the service bulletin for the system that should answer your questions for you.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcool View Post
    I don't mean this to discourage you, but I have spent years working with Fadal's through spindle coolant system and I know what you are going through. That is why my company designed an entirely new through spindle coolant system just for Fadal machines that replaces all of those parts. Take a look at our website www.LightningCool.com
    Now the machine works normally, but the emulsion through the spindle I've never tried. In principle there is an sealing in the system? still Ceramic seal and Graphit?