588,061 active members*
5,074 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need info on 4 axis machining

Hi! I'm needing some info on 4th axis machining such as what would be a good machine, what would be a good control, and what would be a good cad cam program. I intend to build round blister card dies. Thanks!

Hi greggv,

Are you meaning the dies are round or the part that will go in the blister pack is round? If you are making a package die for a round part you probably won't need 4 axis. As for what would be a good machine the answer lies in what all you want to do with it. I use Mach2 as my control, Rhino 3d as my 3d modeler and will be purchasing Visual mill for my cam program for it unless the new version 20 Of Bobcad/cam will do what I need. I machine in 4 axis and my current cam system is costing me money.

Tell us a little more about what you do and you will probably get a bit more info that will help you.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

The die pockets may take several shapes, and are machined on a cylinder of (just a guess at this point) 10" dia x 15-20" long. The flat ones I do now require a 10 degree draft, so the plastic will come out easily, so I suppose the round ones will need that relief also. These are for a continous motion blister card making machine. I understand that in Mastercam you can layout your part flat, then wrap it around. I have mcam 9.1. We will be needing a professional machine, not a home built. Right now I have a Lagun 3516S that I use for flat blistercard dies, with a dynapath 10 control. Not the greatest, but it does OK . I don't think it's up to 4 axis work. This would be a good excuse to get a nicer machine, I think. Any ideas? Thanks

Ok I understand what you are wanting to do now. Yes you would need 4 axis but I know nothing about Mastercam but I can tell you that VisualMill 5 allows you to import the 3d model as a 3d model and you don't have to have it rolled out. I know that Bobcad 20 will only do indexing and I think you probably need the ability for continous 4th axis on something like you are describing. This might be a project to outsource if you don't have a continuing need for a VMC large enough to do this that alsohas a 4th axis module. Cheapest one I have found so far was a Fadal 40/20 with full programable 4th already mounted and wired for $32K.

I wish I could be of greater help! Maybe someone else will come along that is loaded with info.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I understand what your doing. Have you ever heard of the Integrex by Mazak. I run a couple at my job and they work great. I use Gibbs Cam 2004 for 4th axis machining. Gibbs allows you to import 3d models extract the geometry end then you can either work on the geometry flat or wrapped around the axis. I don't know what your budget is, butt these machine's and programs aren't cheap.

Like above I wish I could be of better help, but I can only tell you about what I have worked with. I do know that the Gibbs can be used on horizontal machining centers too with a 4th axis. The integrex is a lathe mill combination so it might not work out in your application.

Nick

Well, I think I really need to know if I can do this with Mastercam, because I already have it. Thanks for the answers. Maybe someone that knows a lot about Mastercam? Thanks

Master cam will most definitally be up to the task. But would need a post to suit what machine you are using. ONce you know that, then you can have Master Cam Rep customize a post (if they dont already have it) for your machine.
    :cheers:

Hello Greggy,

If it was me, I would find a good horizontal with a full fourth axis. I have Mazak and Milltronics verticals, a Maho and a Niigata horizontal. I bought three of the machines on Ebay, and they were CHEAP!!!!! Like under ten grand cheap......For your application a horizontal is the only way to go. Not only will it give you the fourth built in, but it will have greater rigidity and is much better for chip clearance on pocketing - gravity works with you. Tooling, tombstones etc. can all be found pretty cheaply nowadays. I bought 28 tombstones for $250Cdn. each - deals can be had. As far as software is concerned, I would take a look at Featurecam, Solidedge, or maybe OneCNC. I use Mastercam 9.1 now, and while it has some pretty cool features (like trochoidal milling), it makes some pretty long programs, which necessitates DNC'ing on older machines like mine. That's just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Fish