588,471 active members*
5,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > TL-2 machine definition for Mastercam

TL-2 machine definition for Mastercam

I just got a new TL-2 and I am having trouble getting a good machine definition in Mastercam. Can anyone help me with this?

Mastercam has a post for the TL series on their web site for X. Go here and then tab down to the Haas posts.

http://www.mastercam.com/TeachersStu...s/Default.aspx
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jefffalk View Post
    I just got a new TL-2 and I am having trouble getting a good machine definition in Mastercam. Can anyone help me with this?
    Hello,

I have the same question, have you had any luck? with the post.

What lathe do you select when you fun MC?

thanks
    -Batman :bat:

nishagg893 Guest

Re: TL-2 machine definition for Mastercam

The Machine Definition is a Graphic User Interface that was created by CNC Software to give Mastercam some "intelligence" about the type of machine you are using. There is a distinction that I'm making here between the "Mastercam" interface (where you create Tool Paths) and the Post Processor, that formats your Tool Paths into NC code.

]When the Machine Definition "format" was created and added to the Mastercam Interface, there was a set of "components" that were developed, along with an "Axis Combination" utility. Together, these form the basic setup to let Mastercam have some "Awareness" of the capabilities of your particular machine.

[COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT=&amp]The main issue that confuses the average user is how CNC Software went about "hooking up" certain functions inside Mastercam to work with the Post Processor. If you've had any experience going from 3X, to 4X or 5X, programming a multi-spindle lathe, or even trying to move a program from a Vertical machine to a Horizontal machine, then you've probably been exposed to the Machine Definition issue.

]In order to understand some of the issues, it helps to get a little historical perspective on how Post Processors are handled. First, Mastercam used to ship with a whole bunch of Post Processors. These posts were "removed" from the Mastercam Installation disks, starting with the Mastercam X series. (or was it X2, I can't remember...) The reason I believe was to help combat piracy, since Mastercam isn't worth that much without a working Post Processor