587,974 active members*
4,616 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy Heavy vice lifting

Hi folks, how many of you are fed up lugging vices and other lumps of cast Iron on and off your machines, I've done this for ten years at the same place of work and I'm getting a little peeved and feeling the stain.

on another note , what do you folks do to prevent rust forming between machine bed and vice - I usually use slideway oil but I'm not convinced this is good practice!!

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat2000 View Post
    Hi folks, how many of you are fed up lugging vices and other lumps of cast Iron on and off your machines, I've done this for ten years at the same place of work and I'm getting a little peeved and feeling the stain.

on another note , what do you folks do to prevent rust forming between machine bed and vice - I usually use slideway oil but I'm not convinced this is good practice!!

Pat
    Here is my solution: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22023

Regarding the rust I find the best is a very thin film of vaseline. I have tried lube oil, grease and cutting oil and they all stain more than vaseline

Buy or make a crane. Geof's design is very cool with the articulating arms. I may just have to copy it. I'd probably drill/tap a plate for the arm to bolt to, and then clamp that plate in the vise. 1/2" A36 or 1018 would be the material of choice.

Try LPS-3 for rust. When exposed to air, it dries into a waxy substance, very much like cosmoline but not as annoying. When trapped between the vise and the table, it stays liquid. What I do is spray the entire table with LPS-3, mount the vise, and then spray everything again, especially the seam between the vise and the table. I get sort of a waxy fillet which prevents coolant from getting in underneath. If coolant manages to seep through, it's blocked by the thin film of liquid LPS.

I don't lift vises, any more, way too heavy for me! Then there is always the big gorilla who takes the vise off the machine and puts it away on the BOTTOM shelf, under the work bench, nearly impossible to get out without back strain. In a pinch, I can lift a vise from a mill table to a work bench top,on the same level. I lift it with both hands behind my back, the vise resting on my but. That way I use my strong stomach muscles, without straining my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Here is my solution: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22023

Regarding the rust I find the best is a very thin film of vaseline. I have tried lube oil, grease and cutting oil and they all stain more than vaseline
    that is almost exactly what i am looking for my idea was almost exactly the same, i will make it so that i can roll it from one machine to the next i have two of these indexers i dont have to take them off very offten but when you do they are frikkin heavy, Thank for showing that forum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24037.jpg  
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Just thought i would share this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails index.jpg  
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

How about a cheap engine lift from China and a piece of steel with a taped hole in it for an eye bolt. Works wonderful when clamped tightly. I had a disk taken out of my back, 3 hernias, and a bitter devorce. I just through the devorce in for laughs. I don't lift or date anything heavy. Just some rules from an old tool maker.

I use a forklift for everthing heavy at my work... 700lb aluminum fixtures...

but given that this is on a 5' by 10' machine, space isnt too much of an issue.

At the last place I worked at, we used an engine hoist and eye bolt, and a threaded hole on top of the tombstones to move around the tombstones/pallets.

Quote Originally Posted by ConKbot of Doom View Post
    I use a forklift for everthing heavy at my work... 700lb aluminum fixtures...

but given that this is on a 5' by 10' machine, space isnt too much of an issue.

At the last place I worked at, we used an engine hoist and eye bolt, and a threaded hole on top of the tombstones to move around the tombstones/pallets.
    Yeah a forktruck is out of the question i have 8 machines and no room to get a fok truck around the machines good thing i run all small parts LOL!!!

Talking Fork truck you girly man!

I wish I had the room for a fork truck. I have to leave the tool room to change my mind. Our tollerance is so tight we can only have one engineer in the room at a time. 2 cnc, 1 band saw, 2 surface grinders, 1 elox, 1 mig, 1 tig, 2 tool boxes, 2 benches. Tool hall as it is refered to is 14' x 30'. No fat tool makers allowed. If I put on 5 pounds my helper has to loose 5 just so we can pass by each other. And for God Sakes Don't Fart! cause you can't get away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    I wish I had the room for a fork truck. I have to leave the tool room to change my mind. Our tollerance is so tight we can only have one engineer in the room at a time. 2 cnc, 1 band saw, 2 surface grinders, 1 elox, 1 mig, 1 tig, 2 tool boxes, 2 benches. Tool hall as it is refered to is 14' x 30'. No fat tool makers allowed. If I put on 5 pounds my helper has to loose 5 just so we can pass by each other. And for God Sakes Don't Fart! cause you can't get away from it.
    now thats to funny at least for us that are reading it

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    And for God Sakes Don't Fart! cause you can't get away from it.
    That is why some genius made a Compressed Air Tank and Air Gun, LOL. So you can send stuff like that "Back to Whom Dealt It".
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Cheers guys, thanks for those piccys Geof on that other thread, food for thought.

After almost pulling my back lifting a piece of 5.5" stainless to put it on the saw, I went to Harbor Freight and bought an electric winch (120 vac). Comes with hangers to go over a pipe and I just drilled a couple of holes in the exposed joists and hung it up. Works great. Made in China and lists for around $120 (on sale half price couple of months back) -- paid for itself on the first use! Capacity is 300 lbs or double if you use the furnished pulley and double the cable. They also have one that lifts something like 800 lbs for less than $200.

Putting 300lbs on a hole drilled through a joist is obviously okay....you did it. Doubling it to 600 might be risky, 800 riskier and if this can be doubled with a pulley wear a hard hat.

Putting 300lbs on a hole drilled through a joist is obviously okay....you did it. Doubling it to 600 might be risky, 800 riskier and if this can be doubled with a pulley wear a hard hat.
    Geof, im sure you probably siad but how much weight can the lift you made handle i want to build something just about like that the two indexers i have are only a couple hundred pounds apiece.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    Geof, im sure you probably siad but how much weight can the lift you made handle i want to build something just about like that the two indexers i have are only a couple hundred pounds apiece.
    I never did mention the capacity and I don't really know. The Jack is rated at 3 ton which is more than enough. Our testing was very crude; we left the vises bolted to the table and jacked it until the column and arms deflected about 1/2". Then unbolted the vises and when we lifted them the deflection was only about 1/8". Therefore we have at least a four fold safety factor.

Our two vises on the baseplate are a bit less than 200lbs. They are not more because I can lift them and I max out at around 200lbs.

Maybe I should put in the disclaimer bit about not recommending this type of approach and if you follow my example you do so at your own risk, etc, etc.

One change I will make if we do any more of these is replace the brass bushings that the arm articulates on with bearings; the brass has a lot of friction. Since building these I made a some hinges for a big gate using trailer wheel tapered roller bearings. They are cheap and work like a charm.

I never did mention the capacity and I don't really know. The Jack is rated at 3 ton which is more than enough. Our testing was very crude; we left the vises bolted to the table and jacked it until the column and arms deflected about 1/2". Then unbolted the vises and when we lifted them the deflection was only about 1/8". Therefore we have at least a four fold safety factor.

Our two vises on the baseplate are a bit less than 200lbs. They are not more because I can lift them and I max out at around 200lbs.

Maybe I should put in the disclaimer bit about not recommending this type of approach and if you follow my example you do so at your own risk, etc, etc.

One change I will make if we do any more of these is replace the brass bushings that the arm articulates on with bearings; the brass has a lot of friction. Since building these I made a some hinges for a big gate using trailer wheel tapered roller bearings. They are cheap and work like a charm.
    any thoughts for making one mobile

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    any thoughts for making one mobile
    You mean this one?

The feet straddle the base of a VF2.

And I realised the picture also shows our Pneumatic Way Oil Dispenser. The blue tank with the air hose coiled up on it. It holds 5 gallons of way oil and discharges under air pressure through a hose and nozzle into the lube tank on the back of the machines. No funnels, no drips and very little chance of getting dirt in the lube tanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoist 002.jpg   Hoist 001.jpg  

You mean this one?

The feet straddle the base of a VF2.

And I realised the picture also shows our Pneumatic Way Oil Dispenser. The blue tank with the air hose coiled up on it. It holds 5 gallons of way oil and discharges under air pressure through a hose and nozzle into the lube tank on the back of the machines. No funnels, no drips and very little chance of getting dirt in the lube tanks.
    That is perfect "you the man" now this tank has my curiosity is it set up kinda like a spray can like the ones you fill up and add air

Page 1 of 2 12