Hi all and thanks in advance for any input. I will try to list all the little issues I am having one by one.

First off I am running a Spectralight 5400 Sherline I retro fitted with a Xylotex board and 3 Powermax II 116 oz steppers. I recently dumped TCNC and just setup MACH3 and wow what a difference don't know why I waited so long. Board is set to 1/8 microstepping for 1600 steps/rev.

This is the older mill model with the star backlash nut and pointer configuration to adjust the backlash. I have tried adjusting this piece and tightening things up but it works itself out of the saddle in short order.

Is there a fix or special way to adjust the backlash on these and actually keep the nut in place? I am getting harsh sounding and turning on X when going X- direction. I stripped it out of the case and reset the BL nut but it came loose again.

Also, is a tooling plate almost a requirement to use the step blocks hold downs? I have tried a few times now to cut and when I think I have it securely mounted the mill says otherwise as it is obviously flexing and binding until I loosen the nuts just enough for it to feed smoothly and also not enough to keep the part in place. All 3 times the part has worked itself free slipping out and trashing the stock material. I feel like using some of this 1/2" x 9" x 5" tool plate stock I have to a plate that mounts to the table with the holes is going to be the only way you can secure something tight enough for it to stay put without flexing the whole ways till things bind.

Those running Sherline and Xylotex with MACH what do you have your motors tuned around for numbers? How fast do you rapid and cut? How deep do you cut and how do you mount your stock for cutting?

Ok I think thats enough Questions for now more to soon follow I know as I am getting this to work come hell or high water!! Any assistance much appreciated

Bo

PS what common post processor that most CAM software provides up front works best with MACH? Fadal seems to do some things ok but not others. Looking for one that is close as possible maybe only needing to tweak the code in editor to fix. I only have an older Version of FeatureCAM and not sure those latest PP for it will work. When I tried it kept saying it was a lathe PP and wouldn't work. Might have to look at making one myself unless someone can show me the light