587,999 active members*
1,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Smile Dyna Myte DM2400

Hello everyone.
    I just bought a Dyna Myte DM2400 on ebay and it's in good physical condition but doesn't work electronically. It hasn't arrived yet but I want to upgrade it to a Gecko G540 4 axis controller for $300. The Gecko manual says that it controls steppers with 4, 6 or 8 wires but NOT 5 wire steppers. Does anyone here know if this little Dyna has 5 wire steppers becaue I'd like to order the G540 now and bring it back to Canada while I'm still on vacation and save the duty and taxes if I can. Any advice?
    Thank-you,
    Steve

Dunno about that but.....

That is one nice looking little machine and there is a great thread in the Vertical mill and lathe build section that chronicles the buildup of one of these machines pretty thoroughly. I am sure you will probably find your answer in there if not here....good luck...peace

I have one at work that I'll take a look at tomorrow. I upgraded it to Mach a few years ago but used the stock drivers.
    Jeff Birt

Thank-you very much Jeff, I'd really appreciate that. One comment that was made in Jan 2007 by Dave (Woodturn) indicated that he replaced his original 8 wire steppers with 4 wire ones because he didn't have any specs on them. So based on that I think they are 8 wire. I think the coils can be wires in series effectively making then usable as 4 wire. Just exactly how to do thatcorrectly I'll have to find out. Maybe from Gecko.
    Steve

Dyna-Mite 2400

:banana:I recently acquired a Dyna-Mite 2400. While it is a small machine, and does not move very fast, it is a fun machine to tinker with and make my model boat parts. Slowly, but accurately. I added a Fog Buster spray mist, and it does not fog up my garage with the spray mist. I only cut aluminum, brass, copper and plastic, but my brother has 2 of the Dyna-Mite 2400's and he cuts 718 inconel on them.:banana:

Thanks Steve. I'm excited about my little Dyna. There will be a few hurdles to cross but I'm looking forward to the challenge. First, I won't get it until the end of April because it's in transit and will be shipped only on the 20th. The controls don't work so I want to convert it to work with Mach3 and gecko drivers. After that I have to figure out how to program it. I have a nice little 4" rotary table that I will use as a 4th axis. I have a lot to learn but it will keep me busy. I'm so excited about the day I can cut some parts and the spray mist sounds like a good idea if it doesn't pollute the air in my basement.
    Steve

Mine has 8 wire motors on it as well. The steppers are made by Escap, but they are an older model. The machine has a 24V power supply which is probably fine for the stock motors.

I made up my own opto-isolated break-out-board and drove it from a dedicated PC's parallel port. I had to select 'Sherline' mode in mach to get the step pulse to be long enough for the stock drivers. I think a G540 is a good fit for the machine. Heck, add in a SmoothStepper and it would rock.

I have the users manuals/service manuals which are helpful when rewiring and such. At one time I had scanned part of them in but I lost the files. I have access to a copier that will scan them all into a PDF now so I can send the macnual to you if you don't have them. Just drop me an email to birt_j (at) soigeneris.com. I think they are great little machines. Did yours come with the automatic oiler?
    Jeff Birt

Hi Jeff, Thanks very much for counting those wires for me. I'd like to keep the steppers and power supply if they are still ok at least in the beginning. Yes, mine does have the lubrication system. You can see pictures of the Dyna mill on Ebay if you go to http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
    I'm not sure what a SmoothStepper is. Would it be correct that itwould run the gecko G540 driver board using the USB ports from the PC instead of the parallel port? Thank-you for that kind offer of scanning the manuals. I have absolutely no documentation at all and would just love to have them. I'll also need to buy a collet set, from what I've read ER16 collets would fit.
    Thank-you so much Jeff. I'll be sending you an email.
    Steve

Wow, that machine looks like it is in good shape. If looks like all stock electronics are there. The only difference I see between our units is that yours has two smaller 24V power supplies in parallel and mine has one larger one. If I can find the schematic I made for my break-out board I'll send it as well. It will give you an idea of how to rewire it. I'll try to get the manual scanned in this week.

Oh, yes the SmoothStepper is a dedicated pulse generating motion control board. It hooks to your PC via a USB cable and then you hook one of the SmoothStepper ports to the G540. I'll be posting an Mach 3 XML profile for the SmoothStepper - G540 combination on my website in a few days. It is not hard to clone the G40 profile and switch it over to the SS but I figured why not just post the completed XML?

The 2400 does use ER16 collets (http://soigeneris.com/Details.aspx?PID=508935). It does look like it has the collet closing nut in the EBay pictures. Als0, Dyna Mechtronics does keep some parts for the machine still in stock.
    Jeff Birt

Dyna 2400 manuals

Hey guys. I got the Dyna 2400 manuals scanned yesterday. You can DL them here: http://soigeneris.com/Documents/Dyna2400_Manuals.zip
    Jeff Birt

I recently acquired a DM 2400 with no controller or manuals and would be interested in getting a copy of the manuals you scanned. PM me is necessary. I would also be like to get a copy of dynacom.exe to communicate with the machine using a PC and possibly finding a controller to connect (depending on price).

Does PM mean private message? How do I do that, can you send me your email address?
    sTEVE

If you click on my user name you can then send me a private message.

Does anyone have some ER16 quick change tool holders for the Dyna-Mite 2400 for sale?

I am looking for some endmill holders.

Steve, I know Dyna still has a few but they dont have the nut! I luckily purchased my first and only clover nut though I do have 3 or 4 holders and a flycutter. Not trying to sell mine though. I could actually make the nut pretty easy from a standard ER16 nut. I have never really used mine though I will in time. Do you like the repeatability in measurement or the rigidity of the holder? Or havent used them enough to know? I see your pictures and posts from time to time. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    Mine has 8 wire motors on it as well. The steppers are made by Escap, but they are an older model. The machine has a 24V power supply which is probably fine for the stock motors.

Quite an old thread Jeff, but do you recall if you wired your stepper motors in series or parallel? I am going to run a G540 via the parallel port.

Also, my oiler is MIA. I would like to see what the original auto lube oiler looked like. Otherwise I might buy a manual one shot oiler.

Thanks in advance.
    Marty

The motors are wired in parallel and I have come across two different color codes used on the wire harness. I updated the Dyna 2400 wiring information spreadsheet with G540 wiring information. You can grab it here: http://tinyurl.com/agxgy7h .
    Jeff Birt

Thanks Jeff. I will have to wait until tomorrow when I am by a desktop computer. Can't open the file on my phone. :-)

I have 2 Dyna-Mite 2400's that ren a lot until July 2011. I am semi retired and I used to run my Dyna-Mites 4 to 8 hours per day.

Then on Sunday July 10, 2011, I was sitting in the retirement chair and my wife came to me and said "my neice is getting married August 20 so I'll make you a deal. If you'll wear a suit to the wedding, I'll pull money out of savings and get the machine you want.

I stood up and said, "let's go buy a suit".

I ordered my machine on July 13, and it arrived July 14, 2011 and I have never looked back. Nor have I run the Dyna-Mites since.

I would sell the Dyna-Mites if someone were to make me an offer I just couldn't walk away from.

I have 2 Dyna-Mite 2400's and a Dyna-Mite 2000 that was inoperable then I boght it. I bought it for a parts machine. I also have 2 X or Y axis delrin nuts. They are new, I paid $60.00 each for them but if someone wants the machines, I'll throw in the nuts.

I can't put a price on them in this forum, but if you'll send me a PM with your phone number, I'll give you a call and we can talk about it.

I have a figure in mind, but I can't say it here.

This is an all or nothing sale. I don't want to deal with splitting the machines up.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    The motors are wired in parallel and I have come across two different color codes used on the wire harness. I updated the Dyna 2400 wiring information spreadsheet with G540 wiring information. You can grab it here: http://tinyurl.com/agxgy7h .
    Jeff, thank you, that information you shared is sincerely appreciated and will be very helpful. Did you stay with the 24V power supply or upgrade it? I really don't want to change out the stepper motors, unless that would be of any benefit. It has a gear drive rather than a belt drive...complicates a conversion a little bit.

Trying to figure out how the tool holders work in this machine and the lube system. I believe it is ER16, but not sure how the holders work for swapping tools in and out. Fastest posted a few pics in the Dyna Forum. I need to take a closer look at mine.

Mine was missing the auto lube pump. I have one, just need to know how the machine was plumbed.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share the info.

Page 1 of 2 12