588,508 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > How about a list of sources for Linear slides?

How about a list of sources for Linear slides?

Ok so this is a subject thrashed to death but here I am again looking for some linear slides while trying to figure out a machine without breaking the bank :frown:

There's been loads of conversations about these things with a few enticing comments about costs but so far I've found few sources that are remotely affordable, have information on the web or a means of quickly pricing configurations without you being a large corporation. So, How about listing all the known manufacturers and suppliers that carry them, suppliers that smaller consumers could use? Maybe anyone who has a source could list them here?

Manufacturers for flat slides I know of are;

THK
    IKO
    NSK
    Thomson
    Hiwin

I'm excluding igus since I want ball slides and also excluding round shaft bearings since I need the design constraints that a flat slide can provide - but thats just me.

Online Sources are;

MSC.com
    McMaster.com

Pitiful isn't it. I've excluded Ebay since its pot luck..

So - what have we got? A source to compare pricing on IKO or Hiwin would be great.

Andrew

I've excluded Ebay since its pot luck..
    I'm glad I didn't, I've snagged some awesome deals...
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Very true, And I've done the same , trouble is you get constrained by what's available and when. And I want to build several machines of the same size...

Well for the HiWin "H" grade linear rails you can check http://www.automation4less.com The "P" grade is only available directly from the factory.

I tried Campbell Designs for the "P" grade linear rails and he sent me to ebay.

if your looking to create a thread for linear slides you have to list them all. igus has what are linear slides. maybe seperating type of slides would be beter off.. what about suported rail round slide or v-bearing i think maybe this thread should be h-slide type slides and not linear slide

You can purchase cheap new "H" style slides from Hiwin! I purchased 8 trucks and 1 78" long rail (size 15) directly from Hiwin for $184 brand new (not including shipping). That's a great price even by ebay standards!

I hate to give my source away but I have to share my knowledge with my fellow DIY's. Go to www.hiwin.com and click on products. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Parts Liquidation". They list the avialable products left in their inventory. You must call and get prices and what avialble. I was able to place a credit card order and I received my stuff a week later. I paid $14.50 per truck and $68 for the rail. I talked to "John" but I think someone else is taking over the parts liquidation. I hope this helps.

Hi, how strong is the 15mm rail? What can it handle? I am looking at a pair of these Hiwin rails about the same length, but I'm not sure if 15mm width is enough strength.
    Thanks.

AxelDog, I had looked at those AG* parts that HiWin is liquidating about 2 months ago...I decided not to get them since they are they are the 2 row not the 4 row parts like the LG* series...I didn't spend a bunch of time on the specifications, but I suspect the major difference will be on "life span" based on how they are used (mounted) and the loads that the rails are exposed to. Oops, I just remembered they were "C" precision parts and I was really looking for "P", but would settle for "H"...that's why I shied away from them.

Sanghera, 15 mm rails.....you need to look at your application..for most router applications I would say 15 mm rails are the minimum, though for a small difference in price if you are buying retail stepping up to 20 mm or 25 mm (my preference). For the most part depending on your accuracy requirements you need to look at the precison of the rail after you mount them.....how much does the height of the truck change over a foot and decide if you can live with the variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanghera
    Hi, how strong is the 15mm rail? What can it handle? I am looking at a pair of these Hiwin rails about the same length, but I'm not sure if 15mm width is enough strength.
    Thanks.
    Looking at the McMaster Carr website, even the 15mm rails with only 2 rows of balls have a dynamic load rating of almost 1000 lbs, The 15mm rails with 4 rows of balls have ratings near 1800 lbs.

But, like Viper said, they may have more of a tendency to follow irregularities in the mounting surface.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Would it work good for wood cutting, plastics and stuff like that with a CNC Router? I'm just wondering if they could handle and hold up to the load. I see what you mean by how it would follow the mounting surface because it is a bit lighter.
    Thanks.

The Hiwin size 15 bearings I purchased are awesome! I know that they are the lower precision level but I believe the tolerance that they are held to is way below the tolerance I am hoping for from my final machine assembly. These are just going into a wood router not a 5 axis Mazak. I did purchase the AGW15CB blocks which are longer than the AGW15SB blocks and therefore have greater load capacities.

I am building a moving table, stationary gantry machine using 4 blocks for the x table and 4 blocks for the y gantry. I was able to find a nice size 20 bearing truck and rail for my z axis with 2 blocks on ebay. As with any linear rail bearing your mounting surface has to be better than most. I am mounting mine to a 3/8" thick sheet of pvc and then that is mounted to the mdf structure.

The spec. sheet from Hiwin shows that the dynamic load at 640kg (1408lbs) and the static load at 1,010 (2222 lbs). It shows the lowest static rated moment at 6.3 kg/m (45.57 ft/lbs) which means that at 12 inches from the center of the block it can take a load of 45lbs pushing on it. These numbers are just for one block only and when you mulitply that by 4 that's alot of cutting force. I don't think my steppers can push that much force (180lbs) so I believe I'm covered (unless I missed something which has been known to happen).

I just wanted to add, if I were going to build a moving gantry style of machine, I would definitely use a larger size truck and rail. It all depends on your application. My machine will only have a cutting area of 12" x 12" x 6". Small but very strong and sturdy. I chose the moving table because I use a Thermwood 42 CNC Router at work and like there design.

So for a 4' by 8' Router moving gantry, they would not work well?
    Thanks.

No, I would definitely go with the size 25's. I believe they have some size 25's still available in the parts liquidation area on the Hiwin website. I would check for the longer style block if available and double check the static moment numbers to see if they will match your application.

So for a 4' by 8' Router moving gantry, they would not work well?
    Thanks.
    I don't think they make 15mm rails 8 ft long. They would most likely be strong enough, but very difficult to mount due to how small they are, and how long you need them to be. I've got some 15mm THK's, and when you see them in your hand, they seem REALLY small.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

You don't multiply the moment ratings by 4 when you use 4 blocks. You must do moment calculations taking into consideration the distance between the blocks. This will tell you the force (not moment) on each block. I'm sure for a wood router, it would be very hard to overstress a linear bearings, even with considerable overhang.

David B.

They make 6.5 feet, but I meant if there was, could it put up to the same conditions.
    Also, you guys there's a bid on ebay for a nice pair right now if your quick you may get in, I can't bid though. Ebay search for Hiwin and it will pop up. 6.5 feet size 15. I hope no one gets mad at me for this.
    Thanks.

They make 6.5 feet, but I meant if there was, could it put up to the same conditions.
    Also, you guys there's a bid on ebay for a nice pair right now if your quick you may get in, I can't bid though. Ebay search for Hiwin and it will pop up. 6.5 feet size 15. I hope no one gets mad at me for this.
    Thanks.
    Just did a search for 'Hiwin' and nothing popped up. 'Linear rail' come up with quite a bit, though.

~Dan

I think that auction ended already but the final price looked expensive.

I believe by spreading out the bearings in the y axis you get a better moment rating for the overhang of the z axis. Either way if you can find linear bearings for the right price they are worth it.