587,935 active members*
3,856 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > RS232 communication software

RS232 communication software

070813-0904 EST USA

What would you be willing to pay for RS232 communication software to run on Microsoft XP to communicate with RS232 at virtually any HAAS CNC and maybe some Fanuc systems that provided the following capability:

1. Software would be started at the computer, and left running continuously.
    2. Any programs to be used at the CNC would be placed at a known location in the computer.
    3. A known location in the computer would exist for receiving programs or data from the CNC.
    4. From the CNC screen you could specify one or more files to be sent to the CNC, and initiate the send operation from the CNC.
    5. At anytime you could from the CNC send programs or data to the computer.

There are obviously saturation problems at the computer that would limit effective simultaneous use of a large number of channels.

In a sense this question relates to exercise, cost of time, convenience, laziness, elasticity of demand, distance between computer and CNC, and other factors.

This question is not about whether you would like this capability, but what would you actually be willing to pay for this function.

Have you looked into what you can do with the USB Port and a portable USB HArd Drive?

I think you can do almost all of that.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

070813-1316 EST USA

big_mak:

Requires USB.

And with every purchase Haas I believe has it as standard.

For Fanuc, on the other hand you may have a market. I can't believe that they don't have a USB Connection.

I went to help someone set up a Lathe With a 0i on it, and the kids in the shop are like, "This is a brand new machine with 1980's technology? What's the Deal, no Ethernet, No Usb, and Why won't a standard Printer Cable work to transfer Data???"

First I laughed and told him " That's what you get for Buying a Chinese Machine" Then I showed him some Cash. Thats what it's all about!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

070813-1652 EST USA

big_mak:

There are many HAAS machines in the field without USB.

What is the USB capability for file names.

You see what the machine sees, It's all through the control. You can go into directories. and pull up what ever you want.

I design and develop software for the CNC industry, for serial and USB and have designed vitual com port cnc software that will handle up to 255 machines put in a remote mode that will handle remote call files for uploading and downloading nc files from different file servers. I will be uploading some files in the near future with source code programmed in different languages that other software individuals can play with
    Eaglesd