588,542 active members*
4,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

manual mill Z axis conversion mount

Have any of you manufactured a Z axis mount for a manual bridge port mill? I have a southbend (bridge port clone) 9x49 mill and want to manufacture a mount with a ballscrew for a nema 34 stepper motor. I've seen some of the other sites that sell a Z axis mount, at a very expensive price, and all the pictures show a cover over the bracket. This dosen't show much. I was just thinking that it would be helpful if I could find some pictures to get a better idea of how to go about this. Thanks for all the replys!!!! :cheers:

Have you seen the original 3rd axis mount for the BPT EZTRAK. They mounted a 1/2 inch steel plate between the head and the knuckel. To this they mounted the motor, right angle gear drive, ball screw and a arm that moved the quill up and down from the quill nose. It was a terrible design. I know of a few shops that have thrown them out. If I get a chance to convert one of the few remaining onees to the better ELROD design, I will post it here. It may be free except for shipping. As for the cost of a new conversion, do the math. What would it cost YOU to design, build, modify design many times, modify old build or build new design, then market a unit. Remember that if you have a company, this includes salaries, taxes and benefits. Maybe the price is not that high. Microsoft employe 28,000 people on 355 acres. Cost of this is devided over the quantity of units of software sold.

George W.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...874062201&rd=1

may have to fix the link, a bridgeport cnc original head, from a dropped series 2 machine. might be overpriced, considering what whole machines go for, but this is the gold standard of z axis .

Quote Originally Posted by Bryscnc
    Have any of you manufactured a Z axis mount for a manual bridge port mill? I have a southbend (bridge port clone) 9x49 mill and want to manufacture a mount with a ballscrew for a nema 34 stepper motor. I've seen some of the other sites that sell a Z axis mount, at a very expensive price, and all the pictures show a cover over the bracket. This dosen't show much. I was just thinking that it would be helpful if I could find some pictures to get a better idea of how to go about this. Thanks for all the replys!!!! :cheers:
    I just bought an Elrod conversion for my Bridgeport clone. If you look up their patents, you will see reasonably detailed drawings of how they work. I haven't installed mine yet.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470