588,473 active members*
5,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Beware of scam

this is the scam
    Hi,

Thanks for the getting back to me. and my client will make out the payment to you on my behalf....

He will make out a Cashier's Check ,and send to you. The amount on the Cashier's Checks will be $4,500,that will cover the shipping and you will deduct your money which is $1,900

Therefore, when you received the Cashier's Check you will take it to your bank and cash it, you will deduct your money and assist in sending the balance to my Shipping Agent that will pick up and ship to me.

I want you to email me the following informations below:

1. The full name on the Cashier's Check
    2. Mailing Address to send the Cashier's Check
    3. Contact phone number.

So that the Cashier's Check can be written out in your name and mail to your address..

PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site..ok, or any interested buyer that mail you,just let them know that it has been sold...ok,so for doing that i will be willing to compensate you with $200 ,so your total deduction will be $2,100.

Hope this is clear to you..Get back to me asap

Regards,
    Melvin..

--- On Tue, 9/23/08, Edward Clyke <[email protected]> wrote:
    Subject: Re: knee milling-machine
    To: [email protected]
    Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 1:59 AM

the price of the mill is $ 1.900

----- Original Message ----
    To: Edward Clyke <[email protected]>
    Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 7:28:55 PM

Thanks for the pic..Let me know the price offering for them.
    Waiting.
    Melvin.

--- On Mon, 9/22/08, Edward Clyke <[email protected]> wrote:

Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 7:26 PM

here are some p ic of the mill and it is still for sale or you could call me at 905 898-8097 after 8 pm

----- Original Message ----
    Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 11:05:37 AM
    Subject: knee milling-machine

Hello,
    My name is Melvin Scott,and i am interested buying your knee milling-machine ,Let me know if still available,and the price offering for it.and i will like you to send me a current picture.I will
    handle the pick-up.

Melvin Scott..

Uhhh.....

Somebody is selling on craigslist... Happens every time I list something.

This is a well known scam, even if their cheque looks as if it's cleared it doesn't- it bounces and you've already sent them your "good" cheque.

There's whole sites aimed at getting revenge on these scammers. The usual way back is to say you'll pay cash and meet them somewhere that'll cost them to get there then video them turning up- they keep it going as long as possible.

I do not advise this though, some of these folk are organised and pretty heavy.

Never give them ANY information.

Have a look at the tireless and worthy work of the ScamBaiters here:

http://www.419eater.com/

You have GOT to read the Letters Page- I could not stop laughing!

Before even considering baiting these scammers please heed 419eater's own warning which I quote here verbatim:

WARNING
    Please remember that these people are CRIMINALS and should be treated as such.

Under no circumstances must you enter into any communications with these people unless you feel you are adequately prepared to deal with them.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES give them ANY real private information about yourself. These guys may appear dumb and clueless, but I suspect it wouldn't be so funny if you were to come face-to-face with one of them, although I'll be the first to admit the chances against this happening are astronomical - unless of course you are dumb enough to fly over to meet them in person, in which case you need to be sectioned ASAP!

The tips below are for INFORMATION ONLY. 419eater.com cannot be held responsible for what you decide to do with the information.

If you are unsure of what you are doing please LEAVE WELL ALONE
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Beware scammers hitting Kijiji

I just got one from a sale I had on Kijiji, the item was $75.00 the guy agreed on the price and sent a Fedex express Bank Of Montreal Draft for $2,500.00 (from Kentucky).
    I was supposed to take out the $75.00 and wire the balance after Western Union fees to someone in the UK that he owed money to.
    Needles to say, I didn't hear a peep, after I refused to wire the money.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I just got one from a sale I had on Kijiji, the item was $75.00 the guy agreed on the price and sent a Fedex express Bank Of Montreal Draft for $2,500.00 (from Kentucky).
    I was supposed to take out the $75.00 and wire the balance after Western Union fees to someone in the UK that he owed money to.
    Needles to say, I didn't hear a peep, after I refused to wire the money.
    Al.
    how long ago was this? I was told somehow they will cancel the check and remove the funds from your bank even after 4 weeks...?(I don't know how, if I wrote you a check and you cashed it, that would be that) Did you cash the check?

Quote Originally Posted by mc-motorsports View Post
    Did you cash the check?
    No Way.
    I took it in to the Bank of Montreal to show them and they checked the account numbers and it showed up bogus.
    I was supposed to wire the money the same day I got it, so by the time my bank would have found out, I would have been out over $2400.00.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by mc-motorsports View Post
    how long ago was this? I was told somehow they will cancel the check and remove the funds from your bank even after 4 weeks...?(I don't know how, if I wrote you a check and you cashed it, that would be that) Did you cash the check?
    I had a check bounce after my bank told me it cleared. Then they told me that if they dropped it under a filing cabinet and found it a year later and it bounced, they would have still docked my account.
    That is why I only take postal money orders for my ebay auctions if they can't send paypal.
    And although I have heard horror stories about paypal, they saved me from paying on a big purchase ($2k) when the shipper made a huge mess of things.

I hated to do it, but after missing the delivery date three times, I couldn't afford to pay the frontend loader driver to come again. I told them that I would take delivery if they would put it on the ground as they had screwed up three times. I was told to go F#$% myself and he hung up on me.

That is when I called paypal and my credit card company.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.